Alternators VARIABLE??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternators VARIABLE??

Anyone heard of variable alternators? I am talking starting out at 37 amps and going up to 63 amps?

Please do not think this is a nutty question, or that I should know the answer. I am attempting to convert to an Alternator and was looking for one that was around 35 Amps. In doing a NAPA search they listed a number of alternators that read 37 to 63. In doing a Google on alternators a Chevrolet Technical site stated that al 10-SI are not the same, some are, and they listed the amperage as variable. I have driven my local FLAPS guy nuts and a few folks on the Forum, so I need to find out the answer.

Thanks

What they might be talking about is that the amperage rating may be variable, depending on the particular application. I believe the amp rating is referring to its maximum rated output. The same basic model alternator may be a 37 amp rated unit for an application with a 6-cylinder car, no a/c, up to a 63 amp rating for a V8 with a/c and other power accessories. Just like a Stude 289 may be rated for different levels of horsepower and torque depending on the application...compression ratio, cam profile, etc.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Billy,amperes of an alternator{ lets say 35} is a measurement{rating} of the maximum amount of current{dc}amperes that the alternator is capable of feeding to the load { lights. heater motor, wipers. radio etc. A 35Amp alternator is a bit on the small side and is about maxed out in use on our cars. An alternator will try to feed a load even if it is not capable because it may not have the ability. {large enough capacity}. Actually, the battery is feeding the load, and the alternator is recharging the battery all the while. Think of it that way or not. Doesn't really matter. If you have too much of a load for the alternators capacity, as if your wipers, heater fan, headlights,{halogen possibly} these draw more current{amps} say a 400 watt stereo, and your Magellan all running at the same time. Your 35 Amp alternator may be taxed a bit so you might notice the accessories not 100% operating as they should be. Running an alternator at it's maximum capacity or near will cause it to lead a short life. Most cars today have alternators in at least the 100 amp range and more because of all the conveniences and computer control uses a lot of power. I would suggest getting no less than a 45 Amp alternator. It won't hurt to go with a higher than 45 but it may be overkill. There are a few choices as far as what make alternator to use but I invite others to chime in on their preferences. Personally I have the Mopar 46 amp basket type. Circa 1964-69 that uses external regulator. Very reliable and inexpensive. AZ Advance NAPA, FLAPS.Hope this helps. P.S. an alternator will put out whatever is asked of it only till the draw reaches the alternators current limit.{capacity} It is variable output in the sense according to what is demanded of it. Doesn't really matter if a 6 cyl or 8 cyl is providing the muscle to turn it. The alternator puts out its max at a cruising rpm and probably less. Please don't crucify me if I have mistated something. jimmijim
      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Working...
      X