Comment

Mark, that car's got your name all over it![:0]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1963 Cruiser
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Mark, that car's got your name all over it![:0]
        Yes it might if I had a place to put it other than outside! [:0][xx(]

<h5>Mark
        '57 Transtar Deluxe
        Vancouver Island

The NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
        May 23 & 24, 2009; check it out at -
        http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/
        </h5>
        Mark Hayden
        '66 Commander

Comment

I'm putting on my flame suit because I know I'll get some flames on this rant. [] But----In my opinion, if this person REALLY wanted to sell the car, wouldn't they post GOOD (and good-sized) pix? The old excuse (no computer savvy) is really pretty lame, any more. Friends have 'em, libraries have 'em and if I don't know how to use 'em, friends, relatives, SOMEBODY does.

It really irritates me when people post DINKY, ill-defined pix and, theoretically, expect to sell a car. This person wants $6000 but give us pix worth about 20 cents.

If I wanted to sell a car and didn't know computers (or didn't have one) I'd FIND someone who did. I'd PAY 'em to do the CORRECT job. If I didn't have any money, I'd make a deal to pay 'em when I sold the car. I'D FIGURE OUT A WAY! I wouldn't put crummy pix on ANYWHERE and ACTUALLY expect to sell ANYTHING! The car itself looks pretty good and I MIGHT be interested in it IF I could see it. But I refuse to ask the seller to do his job as he should.

I've seen BIG pix and plenty of 'em on CL, so there is really no excuse. Of course, you can always ask for more and better ones. But why should you have to? I've heard, you never have time to do it right but always have time to do it over. Wouldn't an INTELLIGENT person do the job once and do it right?

It's a lot like using all caps all the time. Why do it?

OK--have at me!

John

Comment

Hi

Thanks for posting the ad, though having wanted a decent driver '56 President Classic for a few years now, it's something of a frustration.

If this car is as good as it looks, it's proof that desirable models in good condition are still available for very reasonable prices, if you wait and look. For his price, one could not take a rough example and bring it to the same condition for the same money.

Now, how can I have it shipped from Phoenix to Western New York for reasonable money? I'd love to take a blue routes cross country trip in it, maybe that would be the way?

Steve

Comment

Johnney--Do you mean 20 cents per pic or 20 cents for all of them together?

Comment

I think that the difference between Craig's List and eBay needs to be pointed out. EBay is for an international market and requires good description and pictures. Craig's List is set up for local sales. The picture(s) only need to be good enough to get someone to come and look at the vehicle. It is only recently that I have seen some people using a program that searches multiple Craig's Lists. I don't know of anyone that has sold or bought a vehicle at a long distance via Craig's List.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

hello Studegary
                  you wrote" I don't know of anyone that has sold or bought a vehicle at a long distance via Craig's List". I transport cars for people who have bought them from ebay or craig's list all the time. A lot of these people are from another state or foreign country. All of the studes that I have bought & sold were sold on craigs list. some went to N.Z. others to Europe. the rest to the central & eastern U.S. The only stude that sold "locally" for me was a 62 champ that Don Cox bought in Corona,CA.

Alphues
                  58 packard H.T.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by alphues

hello Studegary
                    you wrote" I don't know of anyone that has sold or bought a vehicle at a long distance via Craig's List". I transport cars for people who have bought them from ebay or craig's list all the time. A lot of these people are from another state or foreign country. All of the studes that I have bought & sold were sold on craigs list. some went to N.Z. others to Europe. the rest to the central & eastern U.S. The only stude that sold "locally" for me was a 62 champ that Don Cox bought in Corona,CA.

Alphues
                    Thanks for your insight. I have bought and sold vehicles over long distances via eBay, including some that were on Craigslist that never got a response there. I have purchased and sold many vehicles out of state, Studebaker and other, on eBay and had them commercially hauled.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

If you buy the car, a nice one at a good price such as this 56 Pres. So what is another 1200 max if that what it takes for delivery. If that is going to bust ya, maybe a person should refrain from buying an go the other route. Fix one up to this condition and then compare the cost. I know all about the challenge so save it. jimmijim
                      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

quote:Originally posted by buddymander

Johnney--Do you mean 20 cents per pic or 20 cents for all of them together?

Take your choice. I was being facetious, sarcastic, grumpy, call it what you will.

I attempted to buy a Fiero listed on CL in Tulsa. The guy promised pix for 4 days but didn't send 'em. Does he really wanna sell it? I think not, or he would have done whatever is necessary to sell the car. I finally wrote him and said "I GIVE UP!" Nothing back from him.

And that is my point concerning MANY CL OR Ebay listings. MANY Ebay listings have small, barely discernable pix. On the other hand, there are peopls who put BIG, well defined pix, some showing warts and all. I'd be more inclined to buy THAT car, bad is it may be, than one I have to write the seller several times to get good pix.

Maybe I'm just being old-fashioned, wanting something done right the 1st time. Maybe the "new" way is doing it wrong and having people complain, THEN doing it as it should be. Dunno. But I'd rather buy something from someone who does it right than someone with a "don't care and don't wanna learn" attitude.

Here's a really good example. Looks like a pretty good car: http://tinyurl.com/cjo7a3 AND the guy says he fixes Studebakers. But why in the heck doesn't he SHOW the car. Put in some BIG pix. It costs only a few cents more. A FEW CENTS! All I can figure is he really doesn't want to sell the car or the things he DIDN'T show would be a deal breaker.

OK, lecture over.

John

Comment

Working...
                        X