New Here with buying Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Here with buying Q

Sorry if this is being posted in the wrong place, a local dealer in my town just got a 61' Lark and I absolutely love it! They are asking 6k for it. not sure if it has 34k or 134k miles but that's not big of a deal. Question is if that is a fair price to ask, or if there is obvious room for negotiation? also, I am totally new to the Stude, so any info on things that I should look or watch out for would be greatly appreciated!

acdelco--

What variant of Lark is it?

*2dr sedan
    *4dr sedan
    *hardtop
    *convertible
    *2dr wagon
    *4dr wagon

...and is it a straight-six (Lark VI) or a V8 (Lark VIII)?

S.

(PS--Welcome to the forum!)

Comment

its a 4 door sedan lark vii, so its a s6? they were closed when I saw it, and there was like no info on it other than price and a paper that said it was made in kansas city missouri

Hungry people don't stay hungry for long - Zach De La Rocha

Comment

Go take a picture of it. And post it. You will get a education here.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2

Comment

Welcome! You've come to the right place. You're making the right decision to buy Studebaker. The best car made in America. Again, welcome.

1951 Commander Land cruiser

Comment

Welcome to the Forum.

Model and condition will dictate. If it's in perfect condition, no matter the model, you probably won't find a better deal. Folks will buy a crapped out two door custom sedan and spend twice that making it roadworthy.
            Assuming it's in less than perfect condition, could you possibly provide the I.D. (body tag under the hood passenger side firewall)?
            That's a place to start and photos could be most helpful.

Sometimes a particular vehicle shows up that is undeniably worth extra effort.

Brad Johnson
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

thanks for the welcome everyone, I will get more info on this baby tomorrow when they are open and post. this could be the start of something beautiful. I do plan on sticking some cash into it. my wife and I just had a baby boy, our last name is Lark and I plan on spending the next 16 years souping her up and hopefully passing it on to the son! A Lark for a Lark!

Comment

If the dealer says it was made in Kansas City, MO he is wrong.

Gary Sanders
                Nixa, MO
                President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                Gary Sanders
                Nixa, MO

Comment

thats what my research said, sounds like a good reason to have the price lowered!

Comment

Mr Lark did you name your son Studebaker? like in Studebaker Lark, only fitting you have a lark, good luck , keep us posted...Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
                    Castro Valley,
                    California

Comment

quote:Originally posted by acdelco

its a 4 door sedan lark vii, so its a s6? they were closed when I saw it, and there was like no info on it other than price and a paper that said it was made in kansas city missouri

Zach De La Rocha
                      It can't be a "lark vii." It is either a Lark VI or a Lark VIII. The former is a 170 cu.in. six and the later is a 259 or 289 cu.in. V8. It can be a sort of regular four door sedan or a top of the line Cruiser. The Cruiser has a nicer interior and the only 1961 Lark that had the 289 optional.
                      As said, it was not "made in kansas city missouri." It was most likely made at the main plant in South Bend, Indiana. It could have been made in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada and brought to this country.
                      If you post the information on the body tag on the engine side of the firewall, near the right hood hinge, we can tell you more.
                      Of course, condition has a lot to do with price. I think that he is bumping the high end of the price range for a 1961 Lark.

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

thanks for all the info everybody, the body # is 12401. and the whole missouri thing is that the info for the car came from the Studebaker museum there. there is also a serial #618-38230, and an engine #S209620. Any info helps. The salesman told me that it is all original with 34K miles on it. Also sounded like he would go down to $5,500. Although he told me that this car could go to the right person (aka "sucker") for $13,000! Not according to my research. Now I just have to convince my wife. Anything I should look for when test driving?

Comment

Oh, and it seems to be in good condition. A couple small blemishes on the exterior paint, and some wear and tear on the interior. Otherwise for being so old it looks good

Comment

quote:Originally posted by acdelco

thanks for all the info everybody, the body # is 12401. and the whole missouri thing is that the info for the car came from the Studebaker museum there. there is also a serial #618-38230,Zach De La Rocha
                            The line of numbers above the body number gives the information that will identify the body and trim. It is probably 61S-W4 or 61S-W6, based on the other information provided. 61S is a six cylinder 1961. W4 is a Deluxe (low level) four door and W6 is a Regal (mid-level) four door.

The serial number is probably 61S-38230, not "618-38230". This identifies it as a 1961 six cylinder (170 cu.in.).

Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I think that the price is WAY above current market for a six cylinder 1961 Lark four door. I know that many like these cars, I have owned four 1961 Larks myself, but that does not make the market price. Of course, if you REALLY like the car, $5K is not a lot to put into a hobby car.
                              Maybe someone could look up in a price guide or do a closed eBay sale search to come up with an indicated price for a 1961 Lark four door six cylinder.

Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                              X