An Epistle Of Pawl...PIX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Epistle Of Pawl...PIX

Couldn't resist a biblical pun! Here are a few pix taken at the trans shop yesterday...my usual mech Neal had referred me to a veteran trans man named Ron to address the park pawl situation (if indeed that was the problem)...

Starting to hoist the Lark. (Or, for classical-music buffs, "The Lark Ascending"...evidently I'm in quite a punny mood today.)

Here's my mech Neal's "MacGyver" PB cable repair. Somebody'd patched the floor years ago (a Lark with a patched floor: now isn't that novel), rendering a key fitting inaccessible...so Neal clamped the new cable (thanx Ed R!) to a remaining length of the old one; the parking brake now works fine...

Here's the partially-disassembled Flightomatic in mid-repair...Even if I had a garage and chose to tackle some repairs myself, I'd stay away from tranny stuff, I think. Ron and crew reminded me of a group of surgeons. Reassuring to watch them being so careful...

Figuring the park pawl was the problem I'd gone ahead and ordered one from SI. Good call. "New" pawl at bottom; old "two-piece" pawl at top...looks like my struggle with Restless Lark Syndrome is over, for now at least!

And here we have Ron arriving back at his shop from a post-repair test drive. I don't often get to see Betty underway from the outside!

More pix, no doubt, after Badenoch (and maybe Ancaster too) this weekend...cheers all

S.

One of the best posts I have ever seen. Thanks, pun and all.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Steve: Unless the guy doesn't want any more business, you should mention the shop's name here.

It looks like he did a nice job, promptly, on your car, and cared about what he was doing. That's a rare find of which your friends in the area would want to be aware, especially for automatic transmission work. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob--

Agreed...the gent's full name is Ron Woodworth (at least I think I've got the surname right); the shop's name is Danny's Transmission, on Sanford Ave in Hamilton (it's been there for decades, presumably the original owner was named Danny, and BTW I think they really ought to call it "Danny's Trannies", since that has such lilt!)

And I think I've mentioned my regular mech before, but will reiterate that too: Neal Scobie, Paton Motors, on Breadalbane Street, also in Hamilton of course. It's about six short blocks downhill from my house, so if need be I could coast the Lark there! Neal likes classics, his main summer ride being a lovely 51 Pontiac Chieftain Eight sedan. Last month one of his customers turned up with a '75 Dodge Monaco and gave Neal that! He's pleased to say he now owns a car from every decade from the 50s through the 90s. BTW Paton Motors is one of the main sponsors of the Pier 4 Park cruises, too...

Cheers

S.

Comment

Hey Steve, very nice post, good to see a Lark in Danny's Transmission, now I'm definitely taking my Cruiser there, I already work about a minute or two down on Cannon St East at JSCR, a Volvo only shop, we send all our transmission work over to Danny's, my flightomatic is leaking slowly from, well everywhere.

Eric Harnett
          1966 Cruiser
          Hamilton Ontario
          Hamilton Chapter
          Eric Harnett
          1966 Cruiser
          Hamilton Ontario
          Hamilton Chapter

Comment

Great tale Steve... must be a good feeling to have her back together in one piece! [^]

<h5>Mark
            '57 Transtar Deluxe
            Vancouver Island

The NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
            May 23 & 24, 2009; check it out at -
            http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/
            </h5>
            Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander

Comment

Indeed a fine post, and nice to see you got such good service.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
              Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Wow, nice to see such good results with quick service!
                Mark, hope you got your truck trans done?
                I just posted my transmission problem on the tech talk if anyone has an answer. [?]

James

The Bell Collection
                Bellingham, WA.
                Bells Studebaker Diner & Museum
                Bellingham, WA.

Comment

Hey Steve,the old girl looks right fine! Wonder what that little hole is for where the old pawl broke.I wonder could that be welded solid to repair or strengthen a new replacement? Either way,enjoy the cruise!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X