Importing a Canadian built Studebaker into the US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importing a Canadian built Studebaker into the US

I am in the process of purchasing a Studebaker from a private party in Canada. It is a Canadian built car and is restored. I have read several items on the internet about bringing in cars to the US that are less than 25 years old, but this one is 45 years old.

Do I need to declare anything on the Canadian side upon exit and what about US customs. Then there is the whole registration process in the US, but I am not as worried about that.

Any help or insights would be great!

Thanks

The Internet tells all! http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/bas...orting_car.xml http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
    Packrat junk collector
    '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

Ahhh, if you can prove it WAS registered in the U.S. at one time with an old State Registration card or similar, it says it is Tax Free!

Since many of these were exported to the U.S. when new, and COULD have returned to Canada, it may be a possibility! [^]

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Ahhh, if you can prove it WAS registered in the U.S. at one time with an old State Registration card or similar, it says it is Tax Free!

Since many of these were exported to the U.S. when new, and COULD have returned to Canada, it may be a possibility! [^]
        Rich,
        It also says..."Most Canadian-made vehicles are duty-free."

I've never had to pay duty when bringing a Stude into the US. You will pay sales tax of course when you register it in the US just like any car you buy in the US.

I've always transported them myself since I am so close to Canada. Very simple process. Canadian customs aren't involved. You'll need the title, bill of sale, and a few US forms available on the internet. US Customs will inspect the car to insure the VIN matches the paperwork.

If you are not transporting it yourself and using a broker, they will handle everything for you.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

I've always transported them myself since I am so close to Canada. Very simple process. Canadian customs aren't involved. You'll need the title, bill of sale, and a few US forms available on the internet. US Customs will inspect the car to insure the VIN matches the paperwork.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA
          Small point of clarification... most canadian provinces do not issue "titles", the certificate of registration is the legal proof of ownership.

<h5>Mark
          '57 Transtar Deluxe
          Vancouver Island

The NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
          May 23 & 24, 2009; check it out at -
          http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/
          </h5>
          Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander

Comment

If my math is right, you're buying a 1964...

1951 Commander Land cruiser

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mark57
              Small point of clarification... most canadian provinces do not issue "titles", the certificate of registration is the legal proof of ownership.
              Good point, Mark. Certainly true for BC which is where I have bought Studes.

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

I've brought one to Canada from the US and also took one to the US ...there is no problem what so ever, it really doesn't matter if that car was a SB built car or Hamilton .

[IMG]Home of the Fried Green Tomato
                "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
                1964 Daytona HT
                sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the information. The car I am looking at is a 63 Daytona and is a Canadian built car, so it has never been in the USA.

It appears to be alot easier to bring in a car than I originally thought, with appropiate paperwork. I will report back on how easy it is and any issues I had.

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                  X