A convertible sedan or a tourer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A convertible sedan or a tourer?

Rockne (Brad) recently had a topic with a photo of a beautiful 1933 Rockne Two-door sedan convertible in Norway. I asked the difference between a convertible and a convertible two-door sedan, which some of you patiently explained to me. I'm not really sharp about pre-war body styles, and I recognize that these style categories are variable and arbitrary. Jimjim mentioned that there were also FOUR-door sedan convertibles. I always thought that body style was called a touring car or tourer. Is there a definite distinction between those two styles, or is one man's tourer another man's four door sedan convertible? Does it matter if the side windows have frames? Is that a way to tell the two styles apart?

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
    Holdrege NE
    John
    1950 Champion
    W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
    Holdrege NE

A convertible sedan - or 4 door convertible sedan normally meant an open car, but with roll up windows. A touring, or tourer- also sometimes called a phaeton, there are no side windows, just snap in side curtains. Hope this helps. This is also the difference between a Cabriolet and a roadster- cabriolet has roll up windows, roadster doesn't- but both are convertibles.

Evan Davis
    Prairie Bulletin
    Saskatchewan Chapter
    Prince Albert, Sk
    Evan Davis
    Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

Thanks Fargo guy. I thought that it had something to do with side windows, but I wasn't sure if the windows had no frames, or if there simply weren't windows. I remember my grandpa talking about his first car (1916 Buick) having "isinglass curtains" instead of windows, so that must have been a touring car.

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
      Holdrege NE
      John
      1950 Champion
      W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
      Holdrege NE

Comment

Just wait a couple decades when someone asks:
        "What's the difference between an SUV and a crossover?"

Comment

Funny, I rode in a Volkswagon "Phaeton" awhile back and it had roll up windows!! Also GPS, climate control, etc.

Rob in ND
          '53 Commander Hardtop resto-mod (work in process)

Rob in ND
          \'53 Commander resto-mod (work in process)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 53hardtop

Funny, I rode in a Volkswagon "Phaeton" awhile back and it had roll up windows!! Also GPS, climate control, etc.

Rob in ND
            '53 Commander Hardtop resto-mod (work in process)

OK- so let me clarify myself- i believe that my comments will hold true to all american made vehicle made before 1960. The last convertibles i can think of off the top of my head that didn't have roll up windows were the Willys Jeepster- ca 1949 and the dodge Wayfarer Roadster from the same time. The willys would be a 2 door phaeton and the dodge a roadster.

Evan Davis
            Prairie Bulletin
            Saskatchewan Chapter
            Prince Albert, Sk
            Evan Davis
            Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

In Volkswagen's case phaeton was incorrectly used because it did not have a soft top. To them it was just a model designation.

Terry

Comment

quote:Originally posted by fargoguy

OK- so let me clarify myself- i believe that my comments will hold true to all american made vehicle made before 1960.

Evan Davis
                Not quite <G>.
                One that comes to mind is the 1956 Mercury Phaeton model, a four door hardtop. There were 23,493 of those built.
                A friend that has a nice '51 Studebaker Champion told me that he had a phaeton for sale that was out in his back barn. When I went to check it out, I found a 1956 Mercury Phaeton.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

53-4-5 Corvette - no glass side windows available. Snap in plastic. Sometimes called a roadster. jimmijim
                  sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

quote:Originally posted by monomaniac

Just wait a couple decades when someone asks:
                    "What's the difference between an SUV and a crossover?"
                    Someone at work recently asked me that very question.
                    I told them a crossover was a SUV body on a sedan platform.
                    It gives a false sense of bajaness.[)]

Brad Johnson
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Then toss in 'Cabriolet' just to confuse them good[}]
                      Jeff[8D]
                      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

First few years of Dodge Viper production---no doorglasses. Snap-in plastic windows.

KURTRUK
                        (read it backwards)

KURTRUK
                        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                        X