Avanti air deflector trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti air deflector trim

In browsing through the early July'62 Avanti parts book, I noticed a trim piece for the air deflector or "scoop", part no. 1351229. This moulding defined the lower and side edges of the scoop and was held on with 10 retainers and rivets. I can't recall ever seeing an Avanti with this trim installed, even in early magazine articles. Do any pictures exist with this piece in place?

My parts book index reads: 1351226 next number 1351238. No [u]1351229</u>.

On what page did you find the description you provided?

Richard

Comment

illust. no. 0502, Plate no. 05-1 1351229 Moulding, radiator air intakelower panel. It only appears in the early ( July 1962) version of the parts book. When I checked the '63 Master Parts Book the moulding and related parts are listed "Cancelled". I know that 63R1005, 1016 and 1017 don't show evedince of ever having had the moulding either.

R2Andy
      R2Andrea

Comment

I've not heard of this part before but parts and service manuals are composed, proofed and printed before the cars are available so dealer's service departments are ready to service the cars. This sounds like a part that was cancelled due to cost reasons, maybe it was thought unnecessary or even found to have been detrimental or too prone to damage. This all could have been done prior to production.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

There should be photos of prototype vehicles with this trim installed, otherwise the 3 parts listed wouldn't have made it into the 1st parts manual published in July '62.

Comment

That trim was used exclusively on the Avantis produced in Canada.

[img][img]
            Dwain G.
            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

That's right.... it also came with a small roof mounted blue flashing light.

Bill Foy
              Kingston, Ontario
              1964 Wagonaire Slider
              Bill Foy
              1000 Islands, Ontario
              1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Working...
              X