Who made the OEM tires for 63 Studes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who made the OEM tires for 63 Studes?

There's a question on the AOAI forum and I don't know the answer to...who made the OEM tires for a 63 Avanti?

I know Allstate had a contest with Avantis, but did they supply all Avanti tires?

Or were there several vendors depending on who had the best deal at any given time?

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE

There's a question on the AOAI forum and I don't know the answer to...who made the OEM tires for a 63 Avanti?

I know Allstate had a contest with Avantis, but did they supply all Avanti tires?

Or were there several vendors depending on who had the best deal at any given time?

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Firestone and Allstate for sure.

Washington State
    JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Most Avantis were equipped with Firestone Deluxe Champions like all Studebakers, many were ordered with the Firestone 500 Nylon, because of the Avanti's speed capability.

Studebaker always bought Firestone, there were times when U.S. Royal were used in '63-'64, on a few Studebakers, I don't know if any Avantis got them, just as in '64 when they did the Bonneville speed runs on Sears Allstate tires and Allstate promotion with drawings for Free stripped down, 3 speed, manual steering Avantis were done, some cars came with their tires.

During the "Golden Hawk days" the Dealer my Dad worked at was installing English Vogue Tyres like Cadillacs often used, on '56-'57 Hawks. They had a quilted look sidewall and did not know how to spell TIRE!

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

In general, I would say Firestone. I have seen U.S.Royal on 1963 Studebakers, but never on an Avanti. The build sheet for your car should state what tires came on the car. The only Sears Allstate tires on Avantis, AFAIK, were on 1964s and the question is about 1963s.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

The window sticker and build sheet for my Avanti just specify: 55 White Sidewalls $32.49, no brand listed. Anyone know for sure that code 55 was Firestone, or some other?

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
          Packrat junk collector
          '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

I don't know how relevant my production orders are, but my CA '62 Hawk had two separate option codes on the same production order referring to tires:

54 - Firestone tires
            55 - White sidewalls

My other one, later production '62, has only the second code, but original Firestone spare matches that description as well. Perhaps by then in the production run, they'd resolved their tire selections.

Andy
            62 GT

Andy
            62 GT

Comment

Our '63 Avanti #3152, built in early Feb 1963, production order calls out 56A 670 4 WHITE 500 NYLON

They are Firestone 500's. The spare is also a Firestone 500, so I guess the spare was whatever was supplied for the 4 on the ground? Or maybe the "4" meant something besides quantity.

BTW, the 4 tires on the ground have 5824 miles on them, the spare has never been used.

Jim

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________Rabid Snail Racing
              Jim
              Often in error, never in doubt
              http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jlmccuan
                Or maybe the "4" meant something besides quantity.
                The "4" is for 4 ply.

Bob Langer
                Glenshaw,PA

Bob Langer
                Glenshaw,PA

Comment

Thanks for the replies...
                  At the risk of hijacking my own thread, I found that Firestone does make a 1" ww in the correct size for my Avanti 205/75/15,
                  Any thoughs about putting on new Firestones for old times sake?

63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                  63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I had a feeling it was probably plies, but didn't remember. Thanks.

I wouldn't have a problem with new Firestones. The SUV tire debacle is probably why most folks have a bad memory of Firestone. I think that was the automaker's demands for a light tire on a truck, as much as anything Firestone did.

Jim

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________Rabid Snail Racing
                    Jim
                    Often in error, never in doubt
                    http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

I buy Firestones. I have FR 575's (out of production) in 215/70/15 on the rear of my lark and I am picking up FR 380's in 205/75/15 for the front today, I wore the old tiger paws off this past weekend. The Firestone FR 380 has either a 7/8" or 1" white wall I can't remember and its a pretty good looking tire, had that as a choice or Sigma's whatever they are for the extra $10 I'm going with a name brand.

Jon Krimm
                      1962 Lark Sedan

1961 Champ

Comment

Production order for my '63 R1 Daytona says "56 650 4 Wht Firestone 500 NY".

Production order for my '64 Daytona (a much plainer car that retailed for about $1K less than my '63) just says "Dom W/W--5 650x15 2 ply whitewalls--Dom".

I'm assuming "Dom" means "Domestic", but I don't know. The car was built in Hamilton.

Bill Pressler
                        Kent, OH
                        '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
                        '64 Daytona Hardtop
                        Bill Pressler
                        Kent, OH
                        (formerly Greenville, PA)
                        Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                        Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                        1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                        1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                        All are in Australia now

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jlmccuan

Our '63 Avanti #3152, built in early Feb 1963, production order calls out 56A 670 4 WHITE 500 NYLON
                          They are Firestone 500's. The spare is also a Firestone 500, so I guess the spare was whatever was supplied for the 4 on the ground? Or maybe the "4" meant something besides quantity. ...
                          As far as I know the spare always matched the four on the ground. My Daytona Wagonaire came with five Firestone 500 whitewalls. People (me included) used to rotate all five tires rather than just the four on the ground. I'd have to look, but I think the owner's manual diagrammed a five-tire rotation.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

My production # for 63 Gt Hawk is the same as Andy's '62, "54" firestone tires, "55" white sidewall. No mention of the size.
                            BrianC

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BrianC

My production # for 63 Gt Hawk is the same as Andy's '62, "54" firestone tires, "55" white sidewall. No mention of the size.
                              BrianC
                              I think that is all that would be needed for production - Firestone and optional whitewalls. I believe that all 1963 Hawks used the same size tires - no options.

Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                              X