Trans Woes + a Good Studebaker Day - Conclusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trans Woes + a Good Studebaker Day - Conclusion

Well, a couple of weeks back I heard a screeching noise coming from the clutch assembly/transmission of my truck shortly after start-up while idling in the driveway. [B)] Not being the master mechanic and really having limited space to do that sort of work, I took the truck into a local transmission shop which came recommended by another SDC member (turns out the Shop Foreman's uncle is an SDC member as well.).

Well, it came apart and it was not pretty -

The input shaft bearing had self destructed. [xx(]

In addition, the Pressure plate and disk had pretty much outlived their usefulness...

Now, the shop managed to find all of the parts needed to repair the transmission, but could not find any supply for a clutch disk, pressure plate and throwout (pilot) bearing. [:0] A local member (Rob Hill) had a pilot bearing, but the other two pieces could not be found on this side of the 49th parallel.[B)] In addition, a rebuild was going to be around $500 from a local shop [:0][V][xx](+ choking sounds).

On top of this, I have been planning to take a bit of a holiday next week, so I wanted the truck done and home before I went away. On Wednesday, I called Chuck Collins in Phoenix who happended to have the required 10.5" clutch disk and matching pressure plate sitting on the shelf and for a bit extra shipping cost - he arranged for FedEx 48 hour service to Bellingham, Washington. [^][8D] Thanks Chuck! [^]

So, early yesterday morning I headed over to the mainland on the ferry and travelled across the border to collect my booty. Once the new stuff was onboard,

I called up local SDC'ers James and Stephanie Bell and "popped" in for a quick (3 hour) tour of their great Studebaker collection[][8D] (I stopped counting after 30 vehicles)[8)].
    They are in the process of organizing a "showroom museum" of Studebaker stuff and I snapped a few pics. Here is part (1 building) of the collection.

A couple of highlights (for me):
    A '63 Avanti with R3 engine (you'll have to ask James for the full story, too long for here). Just a gorgeous car and I'm not even a huge Avanti fan! []

James is working on his 56/57 hybrid to be ready for the NorthWest Overdrive (only a month away James!! )

A 1902 Electric delivery vehicle needing a full resto (will be neat when done! [8D])

And a 2R series 4x4 truck with dual front wheel capability that was used at an airport in the past for snow removal and other "industrial" purposes...

Thanks again James and Stephanie for dropping evrything to give me the tour!
    Meanwhile, Rich Gahlbeck (StudeRich) had called and asked if I wanted to pick up my pertronix unit for my Transtar while I was in the area - so a goodbye to the Bells and a 15 minute trip up the road to Rich's to collect the pertronix (the cheque will be in the mail Monday Rich ).

Crossed back into Canada around 10 PM and crashed at relatives long enough to catch some needed sleep and an early start (0545) to get the first ferry back over to the Island to deliver the clutch parts to the shop. Hopefully, my Transtar will be roadworthy once again by Monday afternoon! [^]
    All in a
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

That looks like the 1902 electric that was discussed here around the first of march or so. i was gonna try to buy it, glad it found a good home.

John

63' R1 Wagonaire

63' 8E45 Detroit

53' 2R5 R1 Powershift TT Under Construction

57' Transtar 304 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction (in Picture)

58' 3E6D Stock Sale Pending

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

NO!! I am Not envious of that collection! Not at all. If you believe that I'v got some Mountain land in Florida I want to sell. NT

Neil Thornton
      Hazlehurst, GA
      '57 Silver Hawk
      '56 Sky Hawk
      '51 2R16 dump truck
      Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

James you need to buy more cars... You can still walk inside that building.

(StudeDave'57, remember the Cade's 'warehouses'? [8D])

Matthew Burnette
        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mark57
          ...and throwout (pilot) bearing.
          Glad you were able to get it back on the road, Mark.

BTW, a throwout bearing is different than a pilot bearing. The throwout bearing is what the clutch fork forces against the pressure plate to release the clutch. A pilot bearing is what the pilot shaft of the transmission fits into (crankshaft or flywheel end). BOTH should be replaced when doing a clutch job.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

quote:Originally posted by Mark57
            ...and throwout (pilot) bearing.
            Glad you were able to get it back on the road, Mark.

BTW, a throwout bearing is different than a pilot bearing. The throwout bearing is what the clutch fork forces against the pressure plate to release the clutch. A pilot bearing is what the pilot shaft of the transmission fits into (crankshaft or flywheel end). BOTH should be replaced when doing a clutch job.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA
            My description was horribly wrong! [:0][:I] I meant to say "Throwout Bearing" = "Clutch Release Bearing" which as you pointed out is quite different than the pilot bushing (bearing) which resides inside the flywheel!

He is getting put back together Monday, so hopefully all will be well at that point in time. [8)]

<h5>Mark
            '57 Transtar Deluxe
            Vancouver Island

The NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
            May 23 & 24, 2009; check it out at -
            http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/
            </h5>
            Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander

Comment

Mark, your timing, to put it delicately, sucks! When I visited Dick back in February, I had a freshly-rebuilt disc and pressure plate with me, because Dick had been having clutch trouble on the Ute. He had it solved by the time I showed up, so I carried it back home. I probably passed within a mile of your place, toting that thing in the back of the Suburban.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

quote:Originally posted by gordr

Mark, your timing, to put it delicately, sucks! When I visited Dick back in February, I had a freshly-rebuilt disc and pressure plate with me, because Dick had been having clutch trouble on the Ute. He had it solved by the time I showed up, so I carried it back home. I probably passed within a mile of your place, toting that thing in the back of the Suburban.

Hmmm... that's nothing new for me! [B)]
                I think the "man upstairs" believes I am made of money or something like that! [8)]

<h5>Mark
                '57 Transtar Deluxe
                Vancouver Island

</h5>
                Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander

Comment

I'd say I'd chalk it up to plain ol' irony, which for me isn't nothing new either. Believe me, I've been down that road more than once as well [)]. I have an R2 oil pan fiasco that after searching half way across the country, wound up being not more than a few miles from my house in a buddy's basement .

[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/DSC00017-1-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                  [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
                  [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                  1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                  1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                  1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Mark it was good seeing you yesterday.
                    I really don't want to be a party pooper, but I am concerned about the alignment of that clutch housing vs the engine block. I have seen way to many with some of the same or similar conditions as yours attributed to the missing dial-in of said housing. A Worn pilot bushing, exploded input shaft bearing are all possible signs of this condition.

So I don't have to tell you that this will be a reoccurring condition if not properly repaired.
                    Since this truck has been "pieced" together from many different years of car and truck parts, it seems likely that it was not a factory matched and properly dialed-in pair.
                    So if it were my truck, I would definitely have it checked/dialed in before throwing away the cash for the reinstall labor, unless there is other forensic evidence of another source of the bearing failure.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

I really don't want to be a party pooper, but I am concerned about the alignment of that clutch housing vs the engine block. I have seen way to many with some of the same or similar conditions as yours attributed to the missing dial-in of said housing. A Worn pilot bushing, exploded input shaft bearing are all possible signs of this condition.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
                      Thanks Rich - I share your concern. All I can say is that I have mentioned this to the shop and supplied them with a copy of the Shop manual outlining the alignment process. I have been assured by the Foreman that they have the proper tools to align the housing to the block.
                      That said, I will remind him again Monday morning! [^]

<h5>Mark
                      '57 Transtar Deluxe
                      Vancouver Island

</h5>
                      Mark Hayden
                      '66 Commander

Comment

It was good to see you in Bellingham Mark. Next time plan on more time to see the other buildings.
                        Rich had the same alignment concern as I mentioned, but if they dial it in, you shouldn't have that problem again.
                        Hopefully I will have the Hawk running in time for the Overdrive Tour (looks like it was stored in early 1970's).
                        Your last Island chapter Overdrive Tour was the 1st outing when we restored our JT Cruiser and won Hard Luck Trophy, with comical events and a great overall trip!
                        Mathew, I could make room for 1 more, if you want to supply that nice 58!

James Bell

The Bell Collection
                        Bellingham, WA.
                        Bells Studebaker Diner & Museum
                        Bellingham, WA.

Comment

Quite the Collection, eh Mark [?] [?] [?] When I visited I didn't get to see ALL of the buildings for some reason, either~ it may have been due to the weather outside in mid December last year... [:0]

quote:Originally posted by Bellingham Studenut
                          Mathew, I could make room for 1 more, if you want to supply that nice 58! James
                          Hey, wait a minute~ I thought you wanted MY '58!!! [)]

(or one of my '57s...)

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                          San Diego, CA (for now)

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
                          '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon)
                          '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
                          '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
                          '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
                          '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
                          StudeDave '57
                          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                          SDC Member since 1985

past President
                          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC
                          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Bellingham Studenut

It was good to see you in Bellingham Mark. Next time plan on more time to see the other buildings.

You can count on it!

Your last Island chapter Overdrive Tour was the 1st outing when we restored our JT Cruiser and won Hard Luck Trophy, with comical events and a great overall trip!

Hopefully, you can win a different type of award this time around!

James Bell

The Bell Collection
                            Bellingham, WA.
                            PS: I did give James a bad time for having "Transtar" nameplates on his '59 Deluxe pickup... [}]

<h5>Mark
                            '57 Transtar Deluxe
                            Vancouver Island

</h5>
                            Mark Hayden
                            '66 Commander

Comment

Thanks for the offer James, but my '58 is too busy being driven everyday to be sittin' in a building. [)]

Matthew Burnette
                              Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Working...
                              X