Reclining bench?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reclining bench?

The Lark parts wagon has the reclining front bench seat, it's rough, would need a complete resto. The interior of this car is NAAAASTY!!!!! The seat looks like a rodent motel right now. I don't see myself using it any time in the near future. I'd like to find a good wagon down the road but it would probably have one too wouldn't it? Is it worth fighting the rusted bolts to get it out?

Analog man in a digital world.

If you are talkinf of front split bench seat I would save them. No less than the reclining mechanisms. I would think that there is no guarantee another wagon would have the same type seats. Ya better save them if ya got room. jimmijim
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

It isn't a split bench, if I read this correctly it's a solid bottom cushion reclining BENCH, with split backs (required for a 2 Dr. wagon) and recliners as many '59's were.

I would as Jim said, at least save the gears and recliner housings from the seat.

In my experience I have found that very few if any 1959 Larks had the individually adjustable split bench seats, even though they had recliners, many more of these desirable type seats were used in 1960, than 1959.
      I never checked the parts book to see, maybe they were not available in '59 or until late '59.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:

I would as Jim said, at least save the gears and recliner housings from the seat.
        Be SURE to save the SEAT BACKS with the mechanisms. The frame of the reclining seat-back is DIFFERENT than a standard seat-back. So, it's not just a matter of adding the mechanisms to a standard seat... you gotta have that seat-back frame too!!! Then, you can change a non-recliner to a recliner...

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
        Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
        Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

Here's a shot of my new Deluxe non-recliner getting the Regal rear panel frame, that Ray mentioned, with the rubber foam attached from my donor recliners (six screws). Kind of the opposite of what you mentioned saving, but interesting to note the lower swivel bracket for non-recliners, as opposed to the recliner mechanism. Also of note, the ash tray frame was hidden behind the vinyl on the Deluxe trim seat back as well, fortunately. Mine originally had the ash tray and the hole for it in the Regal panel.
          I never used the recliners and disliked the occasional loose seat recliner drop while driving, regardless of new parts. The seat bottoms can be used for either type of split backs IIRC, but those rear seat backs are worth saving either way, recliner or not, for all of their parts.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Comment

OK, if the weather cooperates I'll yank the seat tomorrow. Wonder if the other wagon he has has one too? It was the virtual twin to the one I drug home except it didn't have Twin Trac.

Analog man in a digital world.

Comment

I didn't know that full length bottom front with the split back reclining feature was available. hmmh! interesting. jimmijim
              sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

It isn't a split bench, if I read this correctly it's a solid bottom cushion reclining BENCH, with split backs (required for a 2 Dr. wagon) and recliners as many '59's were.

In my experience I have found that very few if any 1959 Larks had the individually adjustable split bench seats, even though they had recliners, many more of these desirable type seats were used in 1960, than 1959.
                I never checked the parts book to see, maybe they were not available in '59 or until late '59.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
                Was a split bench recliner not available for a 59-60 2 dr wagon. My Lark Regal 4 dr. sdn. had split bench 50-50 with reclining backs. If not, there is certainally no reason that I can think of not to offer this option for a 2 or 4 dr wagon.. jimmijim

Comment

I have a 60 V-8 4 dr regal that has split 50-50 seats,using it for a parts car for my 60 2 dr. It is a complete car and runs well, but every piece chrome on the car has been screwed on the car with a phillips screw.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Working...
                  X