When 289 went from Partial to Full Flow Oil Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When 289 went from Partial to Full Flow Oil Filter

Looking to purchase a GT Hawk. One of interest is a '63 but has a "Golden Hawk" 289 engine.

This engine has the screw on, threads up, oil filter mounted low on the passenger side of the engine NOT on the front top of the engine. My understanding is that the top mount filter is the "partial flow" oil system which only filtered some of the oil and that this was used on all Stude V8s up until mid-year 1962. The "full flow" oil system filtered all of the oil and the filter was mounted low on the passenger side of the engine effective mid-year 1962 on.

Is this accurate or were there Golden Hawk V8s with the low mounted full flow oil filtering system prior to 1962?

Just for fun, my first car was a '53 four door (Loewy semi-low boy) Champion. Ultimately installed a '62 overhead six which bolted right in (converted it to 6 volt). Three speed with overdrive could get 27 mpg on the road. Sorry I ever traded it on the '63 Impala SS and sorry I ever sold that SS too. Oh well. Come on back, please.

quote:Originally posted by 2stewed

Is this accurate
    Yes.

Some folks not up on everything Studebaker call any Hawk from '56 to '64 a "Golden Hawk". Could be the case here.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Looking to purchase a GT Hawk. One of interest is a '63 but has a "Golden Hawk" 289 engine.

This engine has the screw on, threads up, oil filter mounted low on the passenger side of the engine NOT on the front top of the engine. My understanding is that the top mount filter is the "partial flow" oil system which only filtered some of the oil and that this was used on all Stude V8s up until mid-year 1962. The "full flow" oil system filtered all of the oil and the filter was mounted low on the passenger side of the engine effective mid-year 1962 on.

Is this accurate or were there Golden Hawk V8s with the low mounted full flow oil filtering system prior to 1962?
      Yes; your understanding of which engines which years used which filter arrangement is correct.

That said, the only "Golden Hawk" Studebaker-sourced V-8 engines were built for the 1957 and 1958 model years. Technically, those engines were available for police applications in non-Hawks, and a few were undoubtedly built.

But as Dick noted, there was no such thing as a "Golden Hawk" engine after the 1958 model year was built out. If the 1963 Hawk you are considering has the full-flow oil filter mounted low on the right rear (passenger side) of the engine block, it is probably the car's original engine and "for sure" is not a Golden Hawk engine. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

check the serial number of the engine against the list in the S.D.C. tech pages to find out what the block started out as.

Comment

Thanks to all of you gentlemen for your rapid and informative responses.
          Peace.....

Comment

my first car was a '53 four door (Loewy semi-low boy) Champion.

The term "low boy" when referring to a '53-54 Starlight or Starliner seems to be unique to Washington State and British Columbia. Anybody else in North America use this term?

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Sure...

For '32 Fords...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

Sure...

For '32 Fords...

Highboy is a hot rod term for an unchanneled body on frame rails (no fenders), but I've never heard the term Low Boy referencing a hot rod.

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

Lowboy?
                  Oh, that's what someone uses when they need to move a Studebaker, or a half assembled Caterpillar.

But that's probably not the Lowboy that everyone's thinkin' of.... [)]

[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/DSC00017-1-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                  [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
                  [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                  1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                  1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                  1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Around here, a Low Boy is a semi truck trailer with low ground clearance.

EDIT: Mr. R2 beat me to the punch by two minutes. Guess his R2 is faster than my 259.

And speaking of High Boys.. Anybody got an old roadster body laying around? I've got a 289 with 4 speed, just itching to go into a hot rod.

Matthew Burnette
                    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

The term "low boy" when referring to a '53-54 Starlight or Starliner seems to be unique to Washington State and British Columbia. Anybody else in North America use this term?

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA
                      Maybe it's our "west coast" accent so when we say "Loewy", it sounds like "lowboy". [}]

<h5>Mark
                      '57 Transtar Deluxe
                      Vancouver Island

The NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
                      May 23 & 24, 2009; check it out at -
                      http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/
                      </h5>
                      Mark Hayden
                      '66 Commander

Comment

Back in the late 60s Early 70s my Dad always referred to his 53 HT as a Lowboy. When I learned to read, I asked why it said Champion instead of Lowboy on the drivers side grill bar.
                        [:0]

Richard Burks
                        Middle TN
                        53s
                        57 Transtar
                        My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
                        sigpic
                        Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
                        in the Geographic center of Tennessee

Comment

As Dick suggested, here in Victoria, BC, Canada I often heard them called lowboys and adopted that expression myself. I thought that was the nickname everyone used for the 'lowboys'. I always explained the expression by noting that the roofline was several inches lower than the big 3 cars of the same vintage.

When I was a kid, I built a 1/25 model car of a 53 coupe gasser. The decals for the model called it 'Miss Deal' but I don't know if the box referred to 'lowboy' or not. I remember I glued cotton batting to the slicks to make it look like it was doing a burnout and took close up B&W pictures with my Polaroid 'Swinger'.

Lately, I've been thinking about trying to get myself a real 'lowboy' to contrast with my 51 Land Cruiser. Now there's a notable change in styling for you!

Cheers,

Jim

"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!"
                          Fozzie Bear in 'The Muppet Movie'

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
                          Jim Mann
                          Victoria, B.C.
                          Canada
                          \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
                          Jim Mann
                          Victoria, B.C.
                          Canada

Comment

Working...
                          X