• Show
Clear All

• V/8 Intake gasket info

Most of you probably already know, But, Auto Zone
    has a lot of stude parts available. I was starting
    to order intake gaskets, and went by. They had them
    the next day. Steel Fel-Pro, for $13.99. Fel-Pro
    part number is MS9001SH-1. I have gotten wheel
    cylinders and master cyl. also. Local, and reasonable.

Tex E. Grier

Come to think of it, I've had a lot of good luck with obsolete parts from Autozone, too. While other places give you the blank stare and call for a manager, autozone quotes a price and has it the next day or two. Anybody get the steel head gaskets there?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by buddymander

Anybody get the steel head gaskets there?
      They are no longer available except from smaller Studebaker sources, after Victor went out of business, they have been reproduced with the original dies.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You can get intake, exhaust, and probably some other gaskets from O'Reilly's too. At least that's where I get mine.

We also carry tune up parts, cap, rotor, points, etc. The water pump on my '58 came from there too.. Works fine and very reasonably priced. (Rebuilt, but so what?)

You may have to find someone who's willing to dig out the books and actually look for stuff... Or email me.

Matthew Burnette
        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Oh, perish the thought [)]!! If Autozone and O'Reilly's websites are like NAPA's website the numbers may be readily available online. That's how I got my valve stem seals and my valve guides. With numbers in hand, that way the only running around they need to do is find the part on the dusty backshelf way in back of the storage area .

[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/DSC00017-1-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
          [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
          [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
          1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
          1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
          1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

I know that a lot of these old parts will, or have gone away. There are a lot still available. The difference at a lot of these parts houses is a "customer oriented worker." I have had some younger guys work hard to find parts... The vacant eyed pot heads just working between "weed" puffs are the ones you try to avoid.

I did not know that Victor had gone out of business. It looks like some young energetic entrepreneur connected to the parts and gasket industry could develop a fairly profitable cottage industry by buying up old dies, & equipment dedicated to supplying vintage parts to the bigger marketers. Many of these parts were used in a variety of makes, and the collector car market should be able to support the continued production of certain items.

John Clary
            Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
            SDC member since 1975
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

You all are right. But Auto zone dosen't have to hunt
              up the old catalogues. They have everything on the
              computer, and can find it in a minute. I know it depends
              on the location as to how good the parts people are.

Tex E. Grier

Comment

i have heard that the intake(aftermarket,offy,wiend,etc.)for a 383 dodge will work on a studebaker and packard with a little machine has any one heard this or is this just a romor?

Comment

If you build a set of wedge adapter plates, you can mount up a 318/340 Mopar intake (after you cut off the front and back)
                  Not the 383/440.
                  But you can buy a nice clone of a late model AFB Stude intake in aluminum right now from a couple of Stude vendors.
                  And you can now buy a high performance Bulldog open chamber (single plenum spyder style) intake...
                  There are choices out there for the serious Stude types...
                  Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by hotrodstude

i have heard that the intake(aftermarket,offy,wiend,etc.)for a 383 dodge will work on a studebaker and packard with a little machine has any one heard this or is this just a romor?
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                  X