Those "little" things......help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those "little" things......help

ok.....so I have this 63' Cruiser with an installed Strato-something exterior mirror, and its placed so that the vent window hits it when open....I remember seeing mirrors placed on the forward fenders and don't want that.....Is the mirror supposed to be forward or rearward to the vent window ? The reason I ask is because the NORS mirrors have varying "movement" capabilities....

Jack: If it is important to you to have it positioned properly, spend a couple bucks and contact SDC Historian Dave Mottle in NM. His contact information is in the standard material in back of every Turning Wheels.

Dave maintains the SDC Club Inventory of templates for accessory installation. For a modest fee, he can photocopy and send to you the appropriate full-scale template for where Studebaker intended the mirror to be secured to the door.

Tell him which mirror you have and the car on which you are installing it, of course. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Jack: If it is important to you to have it positioned properly, spend a couple bucks and contact SDC Historian Dave Mottle in NM. His contact information is in the standard material in back of every Turning Wheels.

Dave maintains the SDC Club Inventory of templates for accessory installation. For a modest fee, he can photocopy and send to you the appropriate full-scale template for where Studebaker intended the mirror to be secured to the door.

Tell him which mirror you have and the car on which you are installing it, of course. BP
      IIRC, I talked to Dave one year at York. He told me there were no templates, at least for the model I asked about, because the mirror was installed by the dealer where the customer wanted it. That would explain why they are sometimes on the fender and sometimes on the door.

Chip
      '63 Cruiser daily driver
      '57 Packard wagon almost on the road!
      Chip
      '63 Cruiser
      '57 Packard wagon
      '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
      '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Jack; I recently learned that contrary to what I am used to seeing on many cars I've owned with '63 to '66 door design, the Stratoline (the only one with the adjustment screw) CAN BE INSTALLED ON THE DOG LEG part of the door, that is the forward portion away from the vent window!

The '64 Daytona 4 Dr. Sedan I am currently driving has one there, and guess what, it is totally perfect to see in it there with no vent window interference problems or the vent window post blocking the view! [^]

Needless to say I was surprised and overjoyed to learn that, because I have never had one, or even seen one that was not mounted near the vent window, I have even mounted a couple in that position thinking it was "correct" only to be dissatisfied with it's performance.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Funny topic...My mirrors are totally useless on my Hawk! They look great, but you can't see anything through them.

Carey
          Packard Hawk

Carey
          Packard Hawk

Comment

Working...
          X