PDA

View Full Version : Rear Axle Question

tstclr
12-17-2006, 09:21 PM
I was going thru my shop manual tonight, specifically the torque specs and the rear axle service section. I have a couple of questions. The manual states the torque specs for the shaft to wheel hub nut as "Tighten to first cotter pin hole beyond 170 ft lbs". What do they mean by "beyond 170ft lbs"? Can I go beyond 170 if I'm feeling strong?:D
Also, in looking at the rear axle diagram (tapered axle, Dana 27) I have this question: What the heck is holding the axle in place? The bearing? What would happen if the shaft to wheel hub nut wasn't tightened properly? I am realllllyyy leary of this axle design and picture driving along and seeing my rear wheel pass me!
Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan
64 Daytona 4dr Sedan

Dick Steinkamp
12-18-2006, 12:04 AM
quote:Originally posted by tstclr
I was going thru my shop manual tonight, specifically the torque specs and the rear axle service section. I have a couple of questions. The manual states the torque specs for the shaft to wheel hub nut as "Tighten to first cotter pin hole beyond 170 ft lbs". What do they mean by "beyond 170ft lbs"?

Torque to 170 #'s. If the cotter won't line up with the hole in the axle, keep tightening the nut until it will.

quote:Can I go beyond 170 if I'm feeling strong?:D

ONLY if the cotter won't line up.

quote:Also, in looking at the rear axle diagram (tapered axle, Dana 27) I have this question: What the heck is holding the axle in place? The bearing?

Same thing holds the axle in place on most (all?) semi floating rear axles. The Dana 27/44 is not unique this way.

quote:What would happen if the shaft to wheel hub nut wasn't tightened properly?

The hub would "work" on the key/axle and most likely break the axle at that spot.

quote:I am realllllyyy leary of this axle design and picture driving along and seeing my rear wheel pass me!

If properly serviced and installed, it works quite nicely. The flanged axle conversion is safer especially after many years of service, poor maintenance, less than correct installation, and/or too much horsepower for the design.

http://static.flickr.com/132/322649409_9f34cfd542_m.jpg
Dick Steinkamp
Bellingham, WA