Random act of Stude kindness??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random act of Stude kindness??????

The weather and my work schedule have finally come together so I can get back to working on my Lark. While getting everything back in order to starton the car Steve noticed something strange.My old horn button has been replaced a beautiful one [:0]!
    Many times I have been the victim of random acts of violence (against my cars)but have never had such a pleasant surprise.
    Thanks to my mystery benefactor!!

Can't wait to drive my V-8!
    '63 Lark

Sometimes the nicest surprises are the slowest one's..
    A while back I noticed that my car cover had mysteriously changed color.
    (My old one had torn and was patched up)..
    What I should not have done was to come into the house two days after my birthday and ask who changed the car cover?
    That was when I was told that the car cover was my birthday present, and it was good of me to take two days to notice it[V]
    Yes..I got 'the look'[:X]
    Men.....Go figure
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by shewolf

[size=2]<snip>
    My old horn button has been replaced a beautiful one [:0]!
    <snip>

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Although not 'random', I was pleasantly surprised this past Monday while working at home. Our own "barnlark" was in the area with work and asked how the new striker on my '64 Daytona HT's left door was working. I told him the job was not done yet, and he promptly came over and in a matter of minutes had the door closed, tight against the striker, and also the interior door panel replaced (it had been removed during window-regulator lubrication).

I can't say how much I appreciate the help of "barnlark" and others in my local SDC club region!

Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
      '64 Daytona Hardtop
      Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      (formerly Greenville, PA)
      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
      All are in Australia now

Comment

Tee hee. I am guilty of one of these...(a random act of Studebaker kindess) I signed a buddy up for an SDC membership about a month ago. He kept telling me he wanted to get one, but for one reason or another had never gotten around to it. He received his card in the mail recently, but I haven't given anything away yet...until now...Not even my wife knows that one! ( I don't think he frequents the forum at all...i hope!)

1963 Lark, 259 V8, two-tone paint, Twin Traction. Now that the salt is off the roads, she is getting back into regular rotation!

Comment

Not looking for kudos here - only telling of promoting Studebakers and their attendant aura........

I've been advising a fella for at least 10 years, as to the whys and wherefors of Stude trucks (of which he's had several), relevant resto info and parts. He's not into clubs or the internet - fact is, I can't remember now, how it was that he found me in the beginning.

Anyway, I helped him with parts and advice when he revived a 2R17 some years ago. He and his son have a trucking company that they've run since time began, so they have an interest in old trucks.

Last year they decided they'd try to revive an M5 they've had sitting there for 15 or 20 years. It was apart and missing some key pieces. I got out my trusty parts books and started advising what was needed and where he might get it. I hafta wonder how many hours we've spent talking on the phone!
          In the process, I learned more about what would cross over from other Stude vehicles and came to realize that I had some of that stuff sitting around here in my piles. Alot of it came to me for little to nothing, so all I had in it was keeping it safe from the scrap collectors thru the last 15 years or so.

Monday, he and a friend drove up here to get a starter and bellhousing they needed. Amazingly, it was the first time we'd met in person after all these years. They left here with the aforementioned parts and a bunch more - all for free. He and his friend laughed when I explained the title CASO and agreed they fit the description. Yet he allowed as how he had expected to pay SOMETHING for these parts that he'd figured were well up on the un-obtainium scale.
          In the course of our talking, I'd learned that they were running a Stude CAR rear end because that was all they could find. It bugged him that he had to employ spacers to make his truck wheels work. Well, just so happened that I had a truck rear layin' out back that I was dreading having to move so I could disc properly. Problem solved! These two loaded it and again professed surprize and their good luck as well as their heartfelt gratitude.

Hey! I sell stuff when I can. I'm losing my rear in this "business". But still, it feels great to throw something at the Karma wheel now and then. Might well be that all I'll get in return is the smiles on these two guy's faces. Fair enough.[^]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1963 Cruiser
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Well, I have been the benefactor of Studebaker kindness on a number of occasions. While it is rare that I get an opportunity to return the favours, I am always happy to do so - a much better feeling than simply doing the minimum to get by.

<h5>Mark
            '57 Transtar Deluxe
            Vancouver Island

The NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
            May 23 & 24, 2009; check it out at -
            http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/
            </h5>
            Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander

Comment

Likewise, I've been the lucky recipient of much Stude largesse over the past 3 years. I'm looking for ways to reciprocate

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
              '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

These stories are refreshing. In a world of so much "Madness and Mayhem" it is good to hear a story where "Life" sneaks up and tickles a smile on your face.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

It always amazes me when I see how generous some folks can be with their time, knowledge and resources. After all we are talking about a product that has been an orphan for nearly 45 years! Yet, we see and hear of very gracious and benevolent stories almost every day here on the forum. People who have never met, who share only an interest in Studebakers, practicing the 10 commandments of "CASOdom", yet they're exchanging ideas, techniques, parts and sometimes entire vehicles for little or nothing. People from all corners of the planet, all walks of life, all ages, and genders coming together over a bunch of old iron!
                  If you see yourself on the giving side of one of these encounters - Thank you! If you see yourself on the receiving side - have you figured out how you can return the favor or pass it on to the next person in need?

55 Commander
                  58 Transtar
                  62 GT Hawk
                  66 Cruiser

Comment

its threads like these that negate all the negativity about this site in my mind.

I found the truck forum (before SDC site) and within a month of being on the forum I needed a throttle linkage, the cotter pin holder had split, I scanned a photo out of the parts catalog and within an hour a stranger offered to send me the part "at a good price, just pay it forward sometime when your able."
                    While you can't beat free, I was willing to pay, he wouldn't take any money for the shipping and those flat rate boxes aren't cheap!,

I have been greatful for that act of kindness and will remember that more than any squabble on a forum.

ChopStu
                    61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Agreed. Mr.Biggs gifted us with a small part for our '50 Champion ... the final missing piece of the puzzle that is our much loved 9G W3. I'm always willing to reciprocate or pay it forward. This is a great forum of and for Stude people.

Jersey2J | Sacramento, CA
                      9G 1950 Studebaker Champion
                      W3 4-Door DeLuxe
                      Visit my Studebaker website. Updated often with Studebaker minutia - http://www.studebakerguide.com

Comment

Working...
                      X