PDA

View Full Version : Bought correct engine oil today



55 prez
04-15-2009, 10:11 PM
I went to one of our local farm and home stores today (Atwoods) and was able to buy CI-4, CI-4plus oil today with the Mystic label which is marketed by Citgo. 2 1/2 gal. containers cost $22.00 plus tax.

Jim Caldwell
"The view don't change if you ain't the lead dog"

jclary
04-15-2009, 10:32 PM
I did the same thing with my '48 today. Except I used Valvoline racing oil. Changed the oil and filter in my motorcycle also. While I was under the coupe, I thought about greasing it. That was it...I thought about it and then drove it to one of those "quick lube" places and went under the car with the young "whipper snapper" (old Gabby Hayes term) and pointed out all the grease fittings to him. Best three dollars I've spent this week!

John Clary
Greer, SC
http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u346/jconln/HPIM0390.jpg
I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
SDC member since 1975

50starlite
04-15-2009, 11:05 PM
The 50 was on a lift last week when a young man commented,
"it takes all that to just steer the car?

Also,last summer, I had a friends 11 year old riding with me in a parade when he asked me "how do you open my window?" I told him to just turn the crank handle. His resopnse was "Cool!" :D



http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p312/50starlite/IMG_1036.jpg
Dick
Mountain Home, AR
http://www.livingintheozarks.com/studebaker.htm

BobPalma
04-16-2009, 07:44 AM
quote:Originally posted by 50starlite

The 50 was on a lift last week when a young man commented,
"it takes all that to just steer the car?

Dick


:) That's a good one, Dick. I guess he's been looking at rack-and-pinion units all his life and doesn't realize the complexities of older systems. (Geeze, we are getting old...or at least I'll speak for myself....;)) :DBP

jclary
04-16-2009, 08:04 AM
quote:Originally posted by BobPalma


quote:Originally posted by 50starlite

The 50 was on a lift last week when a young man commented,
"it takes all that to just steer the car?

Dick


:) That's a good one, Dick. I guess he's been looking at rack-and-pinion units all his life and doesn't realize the complexities of older systems. (Geeze, we are getting old...or at least I'll speak for myself....;)) :DBP


Bob... your reply reminds me that not long ago, I was watching some talk show (could've been Leno) and the subject of old cars came up. Actually, I don't recall the show or what air headed Trollop (insult intended) was being interviewed. The only thing that caught my attention was her comment... "you mean they still let you drive a car that old on the highway? Is it legal!?"...it was one of those situations where everybody was talking at once and the comment seemed to go over every body's head, but that is what caught my attention. I just hope that sentiment don't prevail.

Mike Van Veghten
04-16-2009, 08:41 AM
I always buy correct oil for my Lark...Castrol, GTX 20-50.

My bikes get Mobil 1, 15-50.
The 299 Stude engine I'm building for my Conestoga will also get Mobil 1, 15-50

Mike

dictator27
04-16-2009, 12:13 PM
Friend of mine took his '52 Chrysler Windsor into a fast lube for an oil change and grease job and didn't get either of them. They didn't have a filter (cartridge of course and in truth no surprise), and when the teenaged grease monkey discovered how many grease fittings were on the car he called the manager over. The manager refused to do it because the car had more than 4 grease fittings and he would lose money as a result! Sign of the times?

Terry

Mark57
04-16-2009, 12:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by dictator27

Friend of mine took his '52 Chrysler Windsor into a fast lube for an oil change and grease job and didn't get either of them. They didn't have a filter (cartridge of course and in truth no surprise), and when the teenaged grease monkey discovered how many grease fittings were on the car he called the manager over. The manager refused to do it because the car had more than 4 grease fittings and he would lose money as a result! Sign of the times?

Terry


Terry - I have to ask the question "Why would you take your classic car to a drive through oil change facility - knowing how they operate?" [?][:0]
I would have to be underneath watching what they were doing to have any confidence the service was being done correctly! ;)

I might trust them to change the oil, provided I brought the oil and a new filter.

<h5>Mark
'57 Transtar Deluxe
Vancouver Island

The NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
May 23 & 24, 2009; check it out at -
http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/</h5>
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x153/MarkH57/IMG_0368a.jpg

JBOYLE
04-16-2009, 12:56 PM
I still need to find out what grade of oil I need for my newly rebuilt R-1.
I would ask here but I'd be told in no uncertain terms to do a search. I did and didn't find a simple answer to my question.

BTW: Unlike my other car, the Avanti is far to low for me to get underneath, so I will take it to a quick lube place a couple of times a year. Especially for a lube service...I'll provide a laminated copy of the factory lube chart from the manual.
Yes, I'll bring my own filter & oil. And, I'll provide a copy of the lube chart.

And I will supervise...though I'm hoping working on somthing other than a Taurus or Honda
might keep them awake enough to do the job correctly.

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

Mark57
04-16-2009, 01:13 PM
quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE

BTW: Unlike my other car, the Avanti is far to low for me to get underneath, so I will take it to a quick lube place a couple of times a year.

Washington State


John - Another reason I like trucks! ;):D

<h5>Mark
'57 Transtar Deluxe
Vancouver Island

The NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
May 23 & 24, 2009; check it out at -
http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/</h5>
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x153/MarkH57/IMG_0368a.jpg

BobPalma
04-16-2009, 04:37 PM
quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE

[font=Arial]I still need to find out what grade of oil I need for my newly rebuilt R-1.
[b]I would ask here but I'd be told in no uncertain terms to do a search. I did and didn't find a simple answer to my question.



:) John: "Search" Pages 7 and 8 of the December 2008 Turning Wheels, in The Co-Operator. Not enough has changed since then to obsolete what we printed there. :DBP

JBOYLE
04-16-2009, 05:23 PM
quote:Originally posted by BobPalma
:) John: "Search" Pages 7 and 8 of the December 2008 Turning Wheels, in The Co-Operator. Not enough has changed since then to obsolete what we printed there. :DBP


Thanks, I'll take a look.

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

Dick Steinkamp
04-16-2009, 05:49 PM
quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE
I did and didn't find a simple answer to my question.[/b]




Actually, John, there isn't a simple answer. If you talk to 10 people, you will get 10 different answers.

IMHO you can't go wrong with Bob Palma's recommendation, but I am sure there are those that would argue that point. [:0]

Dick Steinkamp
Bellingham, WA

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww63/dstnkmp/pics075-1-1.jpg