Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• instrument removal

I would like to change the instruments in my 56 hawk. is it easyer to
    pull the dash and if so what is the procedure topull the dash?

Charles T. Fink

This call is going to get down to personal preference!
    (1) If you prefer: removing the 2 bolts on each end of the dash, removing the windshield surround mouldings, the small Phillips head screws along the windshield, the parking Brake, the steering column clamp, the speedo cable, the oil press line, the dome light, turn signal and tail light wiring, the wiper motor wires, any heater or O.D. cables etc. all of the engine ends of all of the underhood wires and pulling the harness through the firewall to remove the dash, yes it WILL be easier to work on it by far! [^]

OR, if you prefer plan #2 laying under the dash getting your face full of dust and dirt disconnecting all the wires to the gauges and lighting, the oil pressure line, unscrewing the nuts on the light box studs, removing those and the gauges, this is probably easier, just NOT fun!

You might want to ask yourself: "is there any other future work that could possibly need to be done later with the dash out", like: new headliner, windlace, windshield, W/S Gasket, wire harness replacement etc. then you will have answered your own question! [^]

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Just remember to disconnect the battery first. I forgot once and nearly burned down the garage.

Comment

While it's out you can have it repainted and replate all the chrome.[}][)]
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Seems to me that it'd be much easier to take the gauges out with the dash still in the car. (Lots less to unbolt and then put back together). I've pulled dashes out as well.. And that ain't fun! Remove the front seat so you have plenty of room to lay down.

I've replaced gauges several times. And I get to do it again soon to fix my speedometer. [xx(]

Matthew Burnette
          Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

By all means do yourself a favor and remove the front seat, then it will be much easier to lie on your back while working under the instrument panel. In fact it's required when your over 60+years[:I].

Dean Croft
            Roseburg,OR

CLEM DESEE
            Dean

CLEM

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Clem64

By all means do yourself a favor and remove the front seat, then it will be much easier to lie on your back while working under the instrument panel. In fact it's required when your over 60+years[:I].

I agree. Definately easier to remove the front seat.[^]

Comment

Thanks to all that answered.
                You have talked me into pulling the seat,laying on my back to do the job. And to Clem 64 I am on the high side of 70.
                I am new to studebaker but have been into old cars for a long time I currently have the following cars.

51 hudson hornet convertable
                54 hudson holywood
                55 Ford Crown victoria
                56 studebaker Golden Hawk

Thanks again, Rocky 8925

Comment

Working...
                X