PDA

View Full Version : OHV post-post not quite mortum?

Jeff T.
04-14-2009, 05:10 PM
Here's one for you,

Years ago I had a 62 Lark I built out of parts cars so my sister had a car while we rebuilt the engine in her 66 Mustang. The engine in question was an OHV 6 that I pulled out of a dead 64 Challenger, dismantled, reringed and reassembled. One day a hose blew but she got the car home and I went through the engine replacing hoses and other parts because I thought that she really cooked it. It ran fine for a while but one day after getting gas, it would not start, but since the mustang was finished I never got back to it. I eventually scrapped the car since the body and frame were shot and the engine has spent the last 15/20 plus years on an engine dolly. The engine is not stuck and I would like to use the engine in my ugly 1/2 ton until something better comes along.

What do you think might have caused the engine to just quit all those years ago? Sorry for the lack of details but this occured 15 to 20 years ago and I have the engine and I might as well use it:)

Jeff T.

"I'm getting nowhere as fast as I can"
The Replacements.

Steve T
04-14-2009, 07:35 PM
Hmm.

Probably nothing as simple as these...but you never know! I've had a 62 Lark VI since 2007 and it has quit on me several times (though not lately)...FWIW, here are some of the rather silly reasons why...

1. Battery discharging willy-nilly (faulty regulator)
2. Battery overloading (faulty regulator again)
3. Broken distributor rotor (poof, no spark, no drive, no warning!)
4. Stalling on shifting into Drive...forgot, attempted restart without reselecting Park, no dice!
5. Flooded carb (from impatiently "priming" via the accelerator)

Have also suspected things like debris in a fuel line and/or pump, since my Lark had sat for months before I got it on the road; those turned out not to be at fault in the case of my car, but again, you never know. Hope your problem is something simple like these and you're able to get this old six going again for the sake of your truck...

Cheers

S.

StudeRich
04-15-2009, 01:16 AM
There are many possibilities, you may have to install it in something and run it to re-create the problem after this many years to diagnose it. It could have had a stuck float and gotten flooded, or a thousand other reasons.
On the bad side, when it blew the hose and overheated it could have cracked a piston, the head or who knows what and lasted a few days before giving up, it could have scored the pistons and or Cly. walls and seized, freeing up when it cooled.

It is your wallet and your truck, but if it was mine I would get a V-8 Truck Engine, Clutch housing, engine mount brackets and Trans. from another Truck and build a real Truck that can haul or tow, and forget the little Six it is clearly not enough engine for a Truck, or maybe you already have a V-8 you can fix.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa221/studerich/My64Daytona.jpg
StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA