This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it just me?

Or does the Forum not seem to be as fun as it once was....?

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

Or does the Forum not seem to be as fun as it once was....?
    You are experiencing life, Matt. Nothing is ever as fun as it once was. Don't give up on the forum, just adjust. (You have to adjust to it, it won't adjust to you.) Sorry, but life is full of adjustments, and some of them really suck! [V]

Forum adjustments are relativity simple... they don't usually involve internal bleeding, cancer, heart attacks, broken/lost limbs, and stuff like that.

DAVE, THE EVIL TWIN FROM OKLAHOMA
    sigpic
    Dave Lester

Comment

Yep, all the fun is gone, Tracy and John are rarely here anymore!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

They must be busy with George

Mabel 1949 Champion
        1957 Silverhawk
        1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
        Gus 1958 Transtar
        1955 President State
        1957 Golden Hawk
        Fresno,Ca
        Mabel 1949 Champion
        Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
        Gus 1958 Transtar
        The Prez 1955 President State
        Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
        Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
        Fresno,Ca

Comment

Sometimes life is serious. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Sometimes they say stuff we don't want to hear. But we need to. Can't always be all fun and games. And you wouldn't want it that way.

Mabel 1949 Champion
          1957 Silverhawk
          1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
          Gus 1958 Transtar
          1955 President State
          1957 Golden Hawk
          Fresno,Ca
          Mabel 1949 Champion
          Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
          Gus 1958 Transtar
          The Prez 1955 President State
          Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
          Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
          Fresno,Ca

Comment

Well put, Dave & Anne.

Comment

Welcome to the grown up world.
              Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Thanks for the insight, guys and gals.

But when I first got on here a couple years ago, everyone seemed to get along pretty well, for the most part.

What happened to that?

Matthew Burnette
                Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Matt

Exactly my thoughts.

Seems like when I joined the forum it was like a gathering of old friends that got together regularly and exchanged thoughts, information and jabs. Everybody had a good time, took little seriously and left friends.

The forum continues to be a wealth of information and data but has lost the good natured banter aspect.

It seems that if you offer an opinion (PC or Non-PC) there is a bevy of vultures ready descend on the carcass before it's dead. Nothing seems to go unscathed in the current environment.

It may be the nature of the beast, as described, but I for one have decided not to "poke the bear". You may have noticed that I've been posting less and less and will continue to lurk more and more.

It's interesting that it took the younger folks to note the change.

Thanks for the observation.

Bob [V]

P.S. It's not the grown-up world. Grownups can handle adversity and not strike out with the venom this site has demonstrated recently.

IMHO

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

Thanks for the insight, guys and gals.

But when I first got on here a couple years ago, everyone seemed to get along pretty well, for the most part.

What happened to that?
                    "Everyone," never gets along.

There are those that will see to that.

Avoid them, enjoy the rest.

Sometimes, I may be one of, "them." If so, avoid me, and enjoy the rest. [:I]

DAVE, THE EVIL TWIN FROM OKLAHOMA
                    sigpic
                    Dave Lester

Comment

As more and more people join the Forum there will be those who are overly critical and those who are overly sensitive.

Just don't go there.

Participate in the good stuff. Recognize the not good stuff and move on.

The percentages remain the same.

Brad Johnson
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                      Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

We're still here, watching from afar. Life has kind of gotten in the way of our "Studebakering" (Is that a word? If not, we're sure someone will let us know...didn't show up in our mandatory pre-posting spellcheck ). John was working out of town a lot and then got pretty sick, so the Studes had to take the back seat for awhile while we dealt with all of that. Just started back playing with George and the truck (aka "The Stude With No Name") again. Seriously, though, yes it seems like things have slowed down a bit on the forum. Maybe our next attempts to repair George's oil leaks will provide some comedic relief...as usual, it promises to be full of our mind-boggling questions, broken fingers, and requests for intervention. We still appreciate the forum and what it brings to our Studebaker lives...and just like our lives it has its bizarre moments. We're off to Crazy Monday Night Stude Chat...hope to see some of you there! P.S. Matthew, like your sig. picture!

John and Tracy Smith
                        Queen Creek Arizona

[IMG]

Comment

I don't think so. It's all in one's own mindset. It's so easy to overreact or misconstrue the intent of the written word. As in life, people sometimes speak without thinking through what they really are trying to accomplish. Some write and edit the same post several times, as opposed to just thinking before they hit "post". Some try to medicate problems in their lives by trying to cause disruptions, or make attacks. People get jealous of what others have or are doing, instead of working at getting/doing their own. Some try to curry favor with others by taking adversarial positions against people.

My point is, you can't let those things overtake the good. We connect, share information, give guidance, and come to aid of others in this virtual "family". Sometimes we get serious, sometimes we get silly; sometimes we support folks who are having a hard time. We come here to share our victories, and share our excitement at new acquisitons, and cheer each other on. If you keep your eye on that, how can you go wrong?

I've taken the occasional arrow for disagreeing with somebody, and standing up for the right thing. I've had folks I think of as friends try to take shots at me for nonsensical reasons. I have also made many good friendships with folks who respect someone who's trying to do right, even when it's unpopular. I don't let naysayers get me down, nor do I hold grudges; the reason folks do so is they don't like being proven wrong. That's okay, I'll still be here, being engaged and trying to help and contribute.

My guiding principle is legacy- as in, if a total stranger reads all my posts from Day One, will I be comfortable with the overall picture it paints of me? All in all, my answer is- Yes.

Don't let the negatives get you down, Matthew. As the saying goes, "Rage against the dying of the light!"[^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                          Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Comment

Well, I still find the Forum useful for info and items as needed. I find most of the posts entertaining. Since I do not take myself (or most other people/events) too seriously, it is usually "fun" as well.

<h5>Mark
                              '57 Transtar Deluxe
                              Vancouver Island

The NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
                              May 23 & 24, 2009; check it out at -
                              http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/
                              </h5>
                              Mark Hayden
                              '66 Commander

Comment

Working...
                              X