Checking Fuel Guage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking Fuel Guage

Is there any "in car" method of testing if your fuel guage is kaput, or wired wrong?

I just had a new sending unit installed and it gives off the proper readings, but the guage does not move in any direction.

Thanks

quote:Originally posted by bondobilly

Is there any "in car" method of testing if your fuel guage is kaput, or wired wrong?

I just had a new sending unit installed and it gives off the proper readings, but the guage does not move in any direction.

Thanks
    How long did you wait for the fuel gauge to register? A couple of people told me that Stude fuel gauges are really slow. When I put a battery in mine for the first time, the gauge did not move when I turned on the key. I added sevearl gallons of gas, but still nothing. Then one day, I accidentally left the key on for at least a half hour, and when I reached in to turn off the key, I noticed that the fuel gauge was registering. I dont know when in that 30 minutes it started to register. Its also possible that if bumped something or shook the car during those 30 minutes, and the gauge was jarred into life. I'm waiting for some parts, and I dont have a battery in the car, so I havent had the key on since then, to see if it still works

Comment

Here is what you can do Bill. If you are relatively sure the gauge is connected properly. Disconnect the wire at the tank sender and connect a jumper wire from the disconnected wire to a good body ground. Go in and turn the key on, if gauge is working and wiring circuit is intact it should go to a full reading. If gauge does not move you either have a bad gauge, wiring issues, or no current to the gauge.

Frank van Doorn
      1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
      1963 Daytona Conv
      1941 Champion R-2 Rod
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Thanks. We had a compound problem. The sending unit that was in the car had a small amount of cork remaining on it. Once that was changed we still did not get a reading. So yesterday I turned on the ignition, and pressed on the guage. The needle moved. So I ran a wire from the back of the guages to the support bar. Now I have a guage that reads properly.

Only took 23 years to get it to work

Comment

They said the same thing about you Bill
          Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by bondobilly

<snip>
          Only took 23 years to get it to work...
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
          X