PDA

View Full Version : After Easter Parts Sale

54-61-62
04-13-2009, 09:53 AM
Well, after a cross country trip messing with Studebakers and getting really poor gas MPG towing over the mountains (6 mpg - yes, I know), I offer the following for sale to try to recoup some of the huge recent expenses.

I will update this post with pictures later today.

289 Crankshaft. Casting #537424, Still standard size. Figure it will need to be polished or turned before using. $85

OHV six cylinder head (late version), Rebuilt bare head. Hot tanked, checked for cracks, exhaust valve seats installed, Guides knurled, New freeze plugs installed, valve seats reconditioned, etc. Comes with 1978 machine shop receipt. This was done 30+ years ago and just stored since. Might need the seats touched up again before using. $175

OHV six head (complete with valves) used core condition, no visible cracks or rusted valve seats, but unknown quantity. $45

Golden Hawk short tailshaft Heavy-Duty liquid-cooled automatic Transmission. From running driving car. $100

Long Tailshaft T86 Overdrive transmission with bellhousing and Throttle linkage bracket for Stude V8. No clutch or flywheel. Low mileage transmission. $150

Champ 1/2 ton pickup set of four brake drums/hubs. Thick and meaty yet. $60 set

Pair V8 Stude finned front brake drums, $50 pair

This above stuff is not normally things I would drag to South Bend Swap, but will bring deliver to SB for free if paid for in advance.

1957HK7@gmail.com

JDC
04-13-2009, 09:55 AM
Dibs on the crank.

Anne F. Goodman
04-13-2009, 01:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhwjYq-rs4g
Apparently you made it home. So here's the video.
Mabel 1949 Champion

1957 Silverhawk
1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
Gus 1958 Transtar
1955 President State
1957 Golden Hawk
Fresno,Ca
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o269/nw3anne/Mabel.jpg?t=1165475035http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o269/nw3anne/xmasannecopy.jpghttp://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o269/nw3anne/GusMater.jpghttp://s122.photobucket.com/albums/o269/nw3anne/th_DSCN17232008-01-01.jpg

JDC
04-13-2009, 04:26 PM
I have got to get to your house this Summer Kent, that video makes you look like the white Fred Sanford.

bams50
04-13-2009, 04:47 PM
A-MAZING, Kent! You are the man!!http://www.wdwinfo.com/images/smilies/love30.gif

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

mbstude
04-13-2009, 07:38 PM
Kent's somethin' else, ain't he? :)

Matthew Burnette
Hazlehurst, GA

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk179/1959S2D/tiny.jpg

Collection Doctor
04-13-2009, 08:19 PM
The picture of that overloaded truck and trailer absolutely terrified me. The tow vehicle was never designed to have the bed loaded with 9 feet of stuff or to haul a trailer with 700 pounds of engine and transmission on the tongue.

On top of that, the owner admits the triler tires leak air and they appear to be nothing more than recycled car tires. While it may just be the angle of the video, the tounge also appears to be bent.

This is an excellent example of why you employ the correct equipment for the job (rather than the CASO approach) or leave the hauling to professionals. We are all lucky that no one got hurt (or worse) on his trip home.

mbstude
04-13-2009, 08:24 PM
quote:Originally posted by Collection Doctor

The picture of that overloaded truck and trailer absolutely terrified me. The tow vehicle was never designed to have the bed loaded with 9 feet of stuff or to haul a trailer with 700 pounds of engine and transmission on the tongue.

On top of that, the owner admits the triler tires leak air and they appear to be nothing more than recycled car tires. While it may just be the angle of the video, the tounge also appears to be bent.

This is an excellent example of why you employ the correct equipment for the job (rather than the CASO approach) or leave the hauling to professionals. We are all lucky that no one got hurt (or worse) on his trip home.

Don, rednecks (including myself) are sometimes tough and daring, and make do with what they have, with the resources they have on hand. Kent and his parts got home fine. :)

Matthew Burnette
Hazlehurst, GA

54-61-62
04-13-2009, 08:26 PM
I'd really appreciate that idle comments not be posted on the forum. What I do is between me, myself, God, and the highway patrol. Recently, it seems the forum has turned into a bar brawl of comments. Unless things change, consider me on a vacation from the forum.

Collection Doctor
04-13-2009, 09:01 PM
quote:Originally posted by 54-61-62

I'd really appreciate that idle comments not be posted on the forum. What I do is between me, myself, God, and the highway patrol. Recently, it seems the forum has turned into a bar brawl of comments. Unless things change, consider me on a vacation from the forum.
I am sure that explanation will sit well with a plaintiff's attorney and jury following an accident. The bottom line is that your vehicle was overloaded and you potentially put other drivers at risk. Going 20 miles down a remote road is one thing, going half way across the country is another.

54-61-62
04-13-2009, 09:14 PM
I formally request Bob Shaw to delete this thread. Locking it is not sufficient, the words and statements are still there.

I will not participate in a forum where I am subject to a cloaked threat of "that explanation will sit well with a plaintiff's attorney and jury".

These years on the forum have been enjoyable. I've met many whom I consider good friends, and at the same time a few not so good apples. I will always participate in the SDC, but the forum has progressed to a point where constructive fellowship with other stude-nuts is not possible.

63t-cab
04-13-2009, 09:15 PM
Gee I think that set-up did the job ok,if memory serves me correctly I did a move much like that with only a 1/2ton pick-up.ya just take your time and drive accordingly.

Joseph R. Zeiger

sals54
04-13-2009, 09:21 PM
C'mon Kent, thats a bit of an extreme retort to Doc's comments. Are you sensibilities bruised so easily? He merely made an observation about the potentiality of an accident. You have to admit, that it was a bit dangerous taking a load like that in equipment such as yours. You made it home safely, so no harm done. But consider what Doc said. How would you feel if an accident had occured, and children were hurt? At least give it some thought. Sheesh. Don't be so sensitive.

sals54
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm197/sals54/NewSignature.jpg

4-speed wagonaire
04-13-2009, 09:24 PM
If that were a Dodge or GM it would be overloaded....making a trip across country is just a bunch of 20 mile trips on top of one an other. If he were blasting 75 - 85 MPH without stopping that would be one thing....I have made more than one trip with a 1/2 ton and trailer loaded much the same. I don't call it luck that I made three of them safe and sound with no incident of any kind. It was a combination of carefull packing and carefull checks every 100 miles. Takes time but it is safe.

Bill, Many Fords and one great Stude!

JDC
04-14-2009, 10:08 AM
I have to agree with Kent on this one. This is one of the most informative yet least friendly forums I have seen. I have seen personally how Kent loads and maintains his stuff. Not pretty, but safe and effective. Farmers know how to do this stuff, my neighbor and I pull a 27 foot trailer with a 1/2 ton and other than crap gas milage, all is well. Just because a rig is pretty and new doesn't make it safe. I have seen new tires blow, new trailers fail, and all kinds of bad stuff on the road.

Roscomacaw
04-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Collection Doc, we drive Studebakers. Some of us more than others, but take them out on public thorofares we do.

We know their brakes are wimpy by today's standards. We know the tires ill-fit their original rims. We know they spew more malady-inducing pollutants than hybrids and Hondas fitted with the PZEV engines. We know that rear axles are prone to snap - that a lack of airbags puts us and our passengers at a disadvantage in a clucth situation - and we drive them anyway. Hurry! Escape us before you become as looney as we are![:0][xx(]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1963 Cruiser
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President two door

Lark Parker
04-14-2009, 12:00 PM
Shane! Don't leave, Shane! Come back and help us Shane!

Dang.....Shane's left.....Maybe the Navy Seals can save us.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n4/larkparker/Miscellaneous/caryreduced.jpg Lark Parker

Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

ChampTrucking
04-14-2009, 12:38 PM
Hey Lark Parker,PLEASE PM me! Thanks.

Collection Doctor
04-14-2009, 01:42 PM
I am sorry that Kent took exception to my original post in which I was expressing my opinion on the load he was attempting to move in the video. It is feedback I would have offered anyone and only did so with safety in mind.

There are ways to perform tasks that will accomplish the objective and not potentially cause harm to others. Overloading a truck and trailer is not one of them and such actions put innocent people on the highways at risk. While I can understand his desire to haul as much as possible on his trip, it must be done within the limitations of the vehicle being used.

By adding the cattle racks (and then extensions) to the bed he is altering how the vehicle will handle and maneuver. In the video he proudly proclaims that the top of his load is 11.5 feet from the ground. Loading his truck in such a fashion alters the center of gravity of the vehicle and also makes it subject to cross winds on the highway.

I know of no trailer (much less a lightweight car hauler) that was designed to have an engine and transmission combo hauled on the tongue. Failing to understand the limitation of one's equipment can often lead to disaster.

My fear is that since there were no adverse consequences on this trip that history may be repeated. While we take risks every day when we leave our homes, we can also take steps to ensure that our actions are as safe as possible and do not cause hazards for others.

Should Kent still think his position is correct, I would ask that he send a picture of his loaded truck to Ford and the builder of his trailer and ask for their feedback....

MyStude_Baker
04-14-2009, 02:15 PM
I do see the need to haul Stude parts, as many of them as you find. At least you can haul something, I don't even own a truck yet. My wife thinks it's a good thing, because I might find myself hauling home everything thing I see. Road danger, never experienced it. I drove a parts car for almost a year. I had the rear end go out with such a bang that I felt the feeling of going no where and then shoot up hill like a space shuttle in less than three seconds. I think your trip was safer than mine.

1951 Commander Land cruiser

bams50
04-14-2009, 02:20 PM
Hello Mr. Evans-

Your comments here are considered. I think the problem rests more in the difference in backgrounds from which we come here. I don't know yours, and I will take your word that your comments were from an area of concern, as opposed to the... less than friendly or understanding tone of the initial two.

Being new here, you may not know that Kent has a mountain of experience doing these things. Although he's young he has made this trip, and many like it, without any problem. Nobody wants to have an accident, or get in trouble, or hurt anybody; so one might assume he was acting recklessly. I saw the video and, having extensive long-distance hauling experience myself, didn't see a problem. I would never have done that trip that way simply from a comfort standpoint- regular cab, 3/4 ton 4x4 with trailer and big load for that distance[xx(] I'm too old to want to do that anymore[:I]

I'm confident Kent knows how to properly pack and secure a load. It must have given plenty of folks a laugh to pass by on the road, but I truly believe he did it safely- but only because he has the ability, knowledge, and experience to do so. I would only add the often-used warning: Kids, do NOT try this at home! [^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

bensauber
04-14-2009, 04:42 PM
Thank You for sharing the video and the story of your trip with the rest of us. I'ts the guys like you that make the cars we all care so much about, affordable to drive, and so much fun to talk about.
I think the most fun about putting one together is driving the country roads, peeking in back yards along the way, and the thrill of finding that part you've been hunting for months even though you might have to buy the whole car to get it. I'll bet you didn't pass a junk yard or an old car sitting in someones yard without at least slowing down the whole trip. Matt, you think the forum has lost some fun lately, you should have been on the trip. On the video it looked like fun just loading up.

48 starlite Commander

32 Austin 7

starliner62
04-14-2009, 05:33 PM
You guys haven't seen anything yet. If things keep going like they are, My truck will look worse that that on the way back from South Bend and I'll have my WIFE with me!!![:0][:0][:0]:D

Jamie McLeod
Hope Mills, NC

By the way, If it wasn't for people like Kent, us poor old rusty southern car guys wouldn't have any parts. Most of what I'm picking up is coming from him.

GTtim
04-14-2009, 06:25 PM
I am sure Kent was as careful as he needed to be. I'm glad he made it.

Tim K.
'64 R2 GT Hawk

mbstude
04-14-2009, 06:26 PM
Maybe that's it.. Everyone needs to take a big Stude road trip. :D

Matthew Burnette
Hazlehurst, GA

Anne F. Goodman
04-14-2009, 06:40 PM
But you need to Drive a Studebaker what an adventure.

Mabel 1949 Champion
1957 Silverhawk
1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
Gus 1958 Transtar
1955 President State
1957 Golden Hawk
Fresno,Ca
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o269/nw3anne/Mabel.jpg?t=1165475035http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o269/nw3anne/xmasannecopy.jpghttp://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o269/nw3anne/GusMater.jpghttp://s122.photobucket.com/albums/o269/nw3anne/th_DSCN17232008-01-01.jpg

starliner62
04-14-2009, 07:07 PM
I hope to drive my new Lark on a shakedown cruise when I deliver South Bend parts to Matthew and Jeff. What better way to deliver parts?
I'm picking the Lark up this weekend. I think I'm getting a little excited!![:o)]

Jamie McLeod
Hope Mills, NC

starliner62
04-14-2009, 07:21 PM
It's a good thing the good doctor did not see my 59 Ranchero hauling two big block Chrysler engines, two or three Stude engines and numerous cranks and other engine parts. I think that was the time I rode home from Ray's with half of a generator at night. Ray and I rigged up a nice Ford/Stude generator. My headlights saw nothing but the tops of the trees for over a hundred miles.:D
quote:Originally posted by Collection Doctor

The picture of that overloaded truck and trailer absolutely terrified me.

Jamie McLeod
Hope Mills, NC