Magic Elixir!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magic Elixir!!

Has anyone tried the Z-Max engine treatment?(Formerly known as Speedway Cocktail) Bruton Smith owns it and has been pushing it down the throats of Speed Channel viewers for a while now. Supposedly it's been the secret weapon for racers for decades. Did it help your Studebaker?(For Stude content) It's pretty expensive. Then again it's MAGIC qualities make it dear.

I have been wondering about this stuff too.It penetrates the metal? In the combustion chamber? I am skeptical that anything being vaporized during the combustion process will have any effect,let alone be in the cylinder long enough to penetrate anything. Dosen't that commercial also show them dumping a bottle in the motor oil too? One juice does all is suspicious to me!Hey,call me a pessimist,and you would be right! Wish I had a friend who was a chemist somewhere and could really test the contents of these magical elixirs and see what they really are.

Comment

If it was worth anything, oil companies would put it in. I've heard Shelby was sued when stuff went bad and the company didn't help. To me, it's just more snake oil.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I would recommend being careful about putting anything in your oil. I checked with both the Chevron and Shell technical guys and they both said that the least an additive will do is nothing and it could screw up the additive package that the oil companies add to the oil during the production process. Yuo could end up with more engine wear using an additive with unknown chemicals, than if you just use an oil from a reputable supplier. Bud

Comment

As soon as Shelby says that it penetrates the metal, he has turned me off.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Depending on the "actual" context of that "thought" (not the statement!)....most any oil will "somewhat" penetrate the metals surface.
            Different materials have different pore sizes..if you will...just like our skin. It keeps our own blood and guts in...but will also let different creams and potions past the surface.

Metals are somewhat similar to skin in that way.
            Most oils will "penetrate" most all metals .0002" to .0005". Granted...this isn't much. But Z-Max doesn't say just how much their additive penetrates either! The commercial is set up to show that it will penetrate what LOOKS like .250" or so. Doesn't happen that way...smoke and mirrors.

You may recall all the different "V" spark plugs....that disapear, come back, disapear, come back........

I've never used that particular stuff, I do use Lucas oil products, and so far have performed very well and as advertized.
            I've got an ugly story from a year or so ago...in my Lark wagon, that I'm sure would not have turned out the same way without their oil stablizer.
            They do know their stuff, they not only make and sell the additives, they also make and sell standard oils.

Mike

Comment

Time for an oil engineering type to tell of the do's an don'ts regarding additives. I used the lucas oil stabilizer and did an informationational search right after using it. Drained the crankcase next day. Not to differ for the sake of differing but I had an oil engineer inform me of the merits. Might have saved you. I say good for ya. jimmijim
              sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

FWIW, I put a bottle of Slick 50 into my '56 T-Bird's oil last fall and the engine ran perceptibly smoother and a bit cooler. I don't pretend to know why, but I'm pretty sure of what I heard, saw, and felt when I drove.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ChampTrucking

Dosen't that commercial also show them dumping a bottle in the motor oil too? One juice does all is suspicious to me!
                  I've been using Marvel Mystery Oil for decades. You can put it in your crankcase, your gas tank, and your differential. An old timer told me (when I was still a young timer) that adding a little to the gas tank will provide the extra top-end lubrication needed with motors that were designed to run on leaded gas.

Comment

Should we add this to the list?

quote:Originally posted by studegary

As soon as Shelby says that it penetrates the metal, he has turned me off.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

It really does work.......!!!!

quote:Originally posted by jeryst

quote:Originally posted by ChampTrucking

Dosen't that commercial also show them dumping a bottle in the motor oil too? One juice does all is suspicious to me!
                      I've been using Marvel Mystery Oil for decades. You can put it in your crankcase, your gas tank, and your differential. An old timer told me (when I was still a young timer) that adding a little to the gas tank will provide the extra top-end lubrication needed with motors that were designed to run on leaded gas.

Comment

Good information in layman's terms. Have fun.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Working...
                        X