58 Packard engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 58 Packard engine

Restoring a 58 Packard. Need to know the correct colors for the block and valve covers. My valve colors look like they were either black or red. Can anyone offer a suggestion?

Aluminum Silver Block, Heads, Water Manifold, Intake Manifold, Fan, Fan Pulley, Oil Pan, Dipstick & Tube and Lifter Cover.

Valve Covers and Oil Cap Black. While a 1957 "Packard Super 289" valve cover Decal would be nice, '58's did not have one.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The 58 Packard HAwk had the "Packard Super 289" sticker on it. I just redid my engine last year, had the original sticker on it, with 35,000 miles on the car.

New Jersey & Studes Perfect Together

Comment

Perhaps that sticker was used on all the supercharged Packard engines? That being the 57's were all supercharged while the regular Packards of 58 were normally aspirated.

60 Lark convertible
        61 Champ
        62 Daytona convertible
        63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2)
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I knew I could count on someone here for the right answer. Can't figure out why there appears to be red paint on the valve covers. It looks like I can get the engine paint thru Studebaker International. Progress on the car is coming along real slow since I hired a part time retired body man who works when he feels like it.

Comment

1961 engines had red valve covers. Are you sure your car has it's original engine?

[img][img]
            Dwain G.
            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dwain G.

1961 engines had red valve covers. Are you sure your car has it's original engine?Dwain G.
              Dwain has a good suggestion, if it has 2 hole valve covers there is a very good chance it is a 1961 or early 1962, or has had the heads and or Valve Covers changed, the Engine serial can be matched to our V-8 Engine Number listing from the link on the Main page to find out.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Or just send me the body or serial number and I can tell you what the original engine number was.

Mike

Comment

Opps just reread the original post and I can only ID the engines from Packard Hawks.
                  If it starts with an L its from a car badged as a Packard.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                  X