Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any update on Charles stranded in St Louie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any update on Charles stranded in St Louie?

just wondering...

Wondered also, turning out to be quite the adventure.

ChopStu
    61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

He was in Illinois headed east, running about 65mph, at 1:30 this afternoon.

Jim

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________Rabid Snail Racing
      Jim
      Often in error, never in doubt
      http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Glad to hear he is on the road. I know about those break downs on the road from going to Tennessee the first of the month.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2

Comment

Good work Jim[^] What was the problem?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
          Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Kind of an odd deal. The points were grounding to the pivot pin. Couldn't get the coil to build voltage, but the normal culprit, the wire from the negative side of the coil to the points wasn't grounding out. Finally isolated it by checking continuity of the wire to ground through the points(with the point wire disconnected from the coil)and opening and closing the points. Point set looked pretty new as did the cap and rotor. Once points were replaced and she started, the remaining misfire went away when the rotor was switched out and timing was advanced by a ton.

Jim

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________Rabid Snail Racing
            Jim

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

So are you saying it was a defective set of points, and replacing them cured it? This was the stock Prestolite single point Dist. for a '64 right?
              Grounded to the pivot pin, that is different! [xx(]
              It sounds like you might be saying, his timing also was way off and you reset that too?
              Glad you could help a member who was in a very bad way. [^]

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Forgot to mention, his headlights stopped working also. Didn't reset after cooling. Turns out all 4 bulbs were out.

Jim

Jim

Comment

If that was the case - and it ran OK to start with - sounds like the insulating bushing of the points set wore out!

Heh - maybe 18 years ago, I came upon a vendor in a local swap meet that had genuine Delco tune-up sets (sealed blister-pack sorta things) for a couple bucks apiece. These included points, condensor, rotor and cap.[:0] Such a deal![] I bought a half dozen or so!

It was some time before I got around to using one of these sets. The car ran worse than before I'd tuned it up.[}] Thinking I had done something stupid, I finally got around to using another whole set...... same results.

Finally put back all the original stuff and the car ran good again. Eventually concluded that the points in these kits were defective. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1963 Cruiser
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Finally put back all the original stuff and the car ran good again. Eventually concluded that the points in these kits were defective. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
                    Oh I think there are many of us that thought we got a great "deal" on some parts, only to find later they were no bargain! [B)][V] Glad to hear it turned out OK. [^]

<h5>Mark
                    '57 Transtar Deluxe
                    Vancouver Island

The NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
                    May 23 & 24, 2009; check it out at -
                    http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/
                    </h5>
                    Mark Hayden
                    '66 Commander

Comment

Jim, what a huge help you were to this fellow...especially on an Easter morning. Hats off to you. The true spirit of SDC....

Bill Pressler
                      Kent, OH
                      '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
                      '64 Daytona Hardtop
                      Bill Pressler
                      Kent, OH
                      (formerly Greenville, PA)
                      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                      All are in Australia now

Comment

Well done, Jim. Get ready for the payback; some call it Karma[^]

For Charles- hope the rest of the trip goes trouble-free for you! If it was me, I'd invest in a Pertronix conversion and do away with those points forever!

Oh, and make a mental note to never patronize the "mechanic" that looked at your car but couldn't diagnose that[}]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                        Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Four bulbs out and a short in an unusual place?
                          I'd have the voltage regulator checked when he does get home.
                          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks for getting the guy going. What goes round comes round.
                            "Yeah" Good deeds or bad. Jeff, I believe you've got something there. Voltage regulators are relatively inexpensive for that model car. I would replace it. Definitely replace. Always great to read something on the forum that can enhance someones technical knowledge. Sometimes symptoms will return if a cure is not put into action. jimmijim
                            sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

I'm really glad to hear he is going on ok. However, I have always either carried or sent tools and parts on a fly-and-drive. When I picked up the '64 Avanti in Castro Valley, CA to drive back to WV, I UPSed 55 pounds of tools and parts to Bob Peterson (and was glad I had them on the trip). When I drove the RHD '64 GT to my buyer in Detroit (pre 9-11), I carried a case full of common tools (and was glad then too). I sure got a strange look when the case went through the x-ray at checkin when I flew back (even called a supervisor to verify ok).

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                              X