Windshield wipers 1950

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windshield wipers 1950

The vacuum wiper motor on my 50 Champion seemed to be stuck so I took it apart and found lots of what appeared to be old grease. I cleaned the whole mechanism and am now ready to put it back together. Most likely the substance in it was to insuire a good seal so no vacuum would be lost. Can someone tell me where I can find information about this system. For example, do I need to put new oil or grease in it before putting it back together. Also, near the bottom there seems to be some "felt like" material which doesn't appear to have any purpose. I am sure it does, but what? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Jimmie
    Orleans, Indiana

1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA
    sigpicJimmie
    Orange County, Indiana

I think that the felt is a breather, The one under the cap in the front of the unit, defintely is. I think the one on the bottom is also. I don't recall any grease in the one I have, but I'll check an extra that I have tonite. Paul

50 champion 2dr sedan
    sigpic
    1950 Champion
    9G F3

Comment

Paul,

I really appreciate your checking on this for me.

Jimmie
      Orleans, Indiana

quote:Originally posted by paul v

I think that the felt is a breather, The one under the cap in the front of the unit, defintely is. I think the one on the bottom is also. I don't recall any grease in the one I have, but I'll check an extra that I have tonite. Paul

50 champion 2dr sedan

sigpicJimmie
      Orange County, Indiana

Comment

Jimmie, are you refering to the "bowl" of the wiper motor or just what's under the cover. On the one I have, there is only a felt breather under the front cover, and I'm having difficulty removing the bottom half of the motor. (the bolts in the front are going to take some thought) Paul

50 champion 2dr sedan
        sigpic
        1950 Champion
        9G F3

Comment

we always use petroleum jelly in ours. I also exercise my wipers at least once a week I have the fastest windshield wipers that anybody has ever seen and they are vacuum.

Mabel 1949 Champion
          1957 Silverhawk
          1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
          Gus 1958 Transtar
          1955 President State
          1957 Golden Hawk
          Fresno,Ca
          Mabel 1949 Champion
          Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
          Gus 1958 Transtar
          The Prez 1955 President State
          Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
          Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
          Fresno,Ca

Comment

The death knell for vacuum wipers is to not use them. Use them regularly and they will serve you well.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks for everyone's comments. The area where the old firm grease looking substance was in the bowl and on the piece that extends down into the bowl with the neoprene around it to insure a seal.[8D]

Vaseline sounds like a good idea so unless I hear something different I will be putting some on the "flapper" edges when I put it back together.

Jimmie
              Orleans, Indiana

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

The death knell for vacuum wipers is to not use them. Use them regularly and they will serve you well.

sigpicJimmie
              Orange County, Indiana

Comment

Jimmie, I finally got mine apart, and it too was full of old hard grease. I cleaned it out, and per Anne used vasoline and it works great now. Make sure the felt breather is clean, a dirty one will affect the wipers performance. Paul

50 champion 2dr sedan
                sigpic
                1950 Champion
                9G F3

Comment

Breather cleanliness is critical. The "motor" has to be able to pull air through the breather to work. After the thorough cleaning and lubing mentioned, be sure the breather is clear. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks Paul and Bob!
                    It sure is great to have people to turn to when I have questions. Thanks to Anne for letting me know about the vaseline too. I only remember seeing one place where it looks like a felt breather-anyway I will look it over and make sure its airways are clear.

Thanks again folks,

Jimmie
                    Orleans, Indiana

quote:Originally posted by paul v

Jimmie, I finally got mine apart, and it too was full of old hard grease. I cleaned it out, and per Anne used vasoline and it works great now. Make sure the felt breather is clean, a dirty one will affect the wipers performance. Paul

50 champion 2dr sedan

sigpicJimmie
                    Orange County, Indiana

Comment

Working...
                    X