63 Lark Weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 Lark Weight

I purchased a 1963 Lark yesterday and need an official weight for it so I can register it next week. The brakes are very pour right now so I can't drive it to get it weighed. It is a 4 door V-8 with 3 speed and overdrive. The body number is W4-Y6. Does anyone have access to this information?

It sounds like this is a Lark Custom 63V-Y6 4 door. That's the one with the door window surround mouldings and the gidget on the rear quarter panel hanging from the body side moulding like a '62 Daytona. I don't know where you got that W4 thing, it does not apply to '63's.

With the V-8 they weigh 2970 add 34 Lbs. for 289 Engine, that is mostly the other H.D. equipment that comes with it, very little in the engine. If it's a "P" Engine Serial # you got one! [^]

This is from the Studebaker showroom sales brochure, and they tend to run a bit light, but I don't think any State really cares to have a classic car be exact anyway, they are only after the 5000 Lb. plus SUV's anyway. What State bothers to do this anyway?

UPDATE: Oh shoot, you live in Wash. Ha, you can tell them anything at those contracted License Stores, sometimes they exempt the weight, other times I guess, they don't care I wouldn't weigh it! We must be in one of the very few States, greedy enough to even ask!

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

My chart says 2735 for the six and 2935 for the V-8 but who's counting? That's probably without a tank full of fuel.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Scale weight will be around 3300 pounds, maybe slightly more depending on how much gas is in the tank.

Ted

quote:Originally posted by Gordon Bueling

I purchased a 1963 Lark yesterday and need an official weight for it so I can register it next week. The brakes are very pour right now so I can't drive it to get it weighed. It is a 4 door V-8 with 3 speed and overdrive. The body number is W4-Y6. Does anyone have access to this information?

Comment

Gordon-
          I put 3300# for my '64, I figure it's close enough. As Studerich says, the contract stores such as Cascade licensing in Union Gap aren't too picky.
          Bruce

Comment

Thank you all for your responses. I will print this and see what I can do with it. Thanks again

Comment

I actually put my '65 Cruiser on a scale for the same Washington plate renewal last year. I was VERY surprized to find that she tipped the scales at OVER 3600 pounds!!! She's a 283/auto with PS, PDB, and a TT in the rear. She's also got an extra 150 pounds or so in the way of a heavier then heavy duty trailer hitch...

Scales don't lie. [B)] [V]

StudeDave '57 [8D]
              San Diego, CA (for now)

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
              '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon)
              '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
              '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
              '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
              '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
              SDC Member since 1985

past President
              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC
              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

And be SURE you dont go there with a lolipop, all lollipops are banned in Washington. State Law.
                In Wilbur washington, you may not ride an ugly horse.
                Better be sure to tell them that Studebaker is a car and not a wagon.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

New York State cares about the weight because they charge annual registration by weight. It doesn't matter how much you drive each vehicle, just how much they weigh.

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Cars weight:

Is this the strange thinking that if a vehicle weighs more then it must be less efficient, so your registration fee's vary?

There's soooooo many factors in fuel mileage, probably the most important one is the factor behind the wheel and his/her driving style, and don't forget to use those free tire pressure gauges....weekly

ChopStu
                    61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 4961Studebaker

Cars weight:

Is this the strange thinking that if a vehicle weighs more then it must be less efficient, so your registration fee's vary?

There's soooooo many factors in fuel mileage, probably the most important one is the factor behind the wheel and his/her driving style, and don't forget to use those free tire pressure gauges....weekly

ChopStu
                      Many (most?) states charge higher license plate fees for heavy vehicles. Since those laws have been in effect for many decades, I doubt that the idea is related to fuel efficiency. Rather, it's based on the idea that heavy vehicles do more damage to the roads than lighter vehicles. It's also probably related to the fact that at one time, expensive cars (Packard, Cadillac) were much heavier than cheap ones (Ford Model T). Owners of heavy vehicles were assumed to be able to pay more for plates.

Skip Lackie
                      Washington DC
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

In the West it is not based on Weight unless it is a Commercial Vehicle, the Lic. fees are based on Price new, always have been.

That is why I was surprised to see Washington State start recording weight in the last 3 or 4 years, they still are charging by Price, so far, but I think I see what is coming! [xx(]

Why does it always seem like East of the Rockies States have been anti-Automobile for a long time, no wonder cars have become a way of life in Calif. with the first Drive-in everything, more cars per capita than anywhere and Auto friendly laws. [^]

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

That is why I was surprised to see Washington State start recording weight in the last 3 or 4 years, they still are charging by Price, so far, but I think I see what is coming! [xx(] StudeRich
                          I hate to disagree Dad, but I believe Washington is indeed going by weight now. The paperwork I got asking for the weight of my car talked breifly about why they needed the weight. The WA Licensing fees changed several years ago due to a new law passed by voters which no longer used vehicle's value. Studebaker weights were not in thier system. [:0]
                          I did note that fees start to climb over 3,999 pounds.

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                          just barely in the 'know'
                          StudeDave '57
                          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                          SDC Member since 1985

past President
                          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC
                          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Rich, not all drive ins were started out west. The first drive in movie was in New Jersey (Trenton?), around 1929 I believe.

60 Lark convertible
                            61 Champ
                            62 Daytona convertible
                            63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                            63 Avanti (2)
                            66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                            64 Zip Van
                            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Dave's weight on his 65' Cruiser is very close to my 64' Cruiser. On our local highway scale with partial tank of gas and tools in the trunk it's about 3550 lbs. Don't know how accurate the scale is though?

Dean Croft
                              Roseburg,OR

CLEM DESEE
                              Dean

CLEM

Comment

Working...
                              X