Seating Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seating Suggestions

I am thinking about changing the front bench seat in my Hawk over to buckets. This is in the thinking stage and not set in stone. The reason behind this is that I have stinosis of the lower spine and some leg issues.

The criteria for these bucket seats are the seating surface must be long enough to support as much as my legs as possible to get near the knee joint, and high enough to allow my legs to remain in a full seating position, where the legs are staright down.

I am open for suggestions as to who's bucket seats would fit the criteria. I also want the ability to re-install the original bench seats when and if the car goes up for sale after my passing 45 years from now. Also needed is suggestions on installing a smaller steering wheel that can be changed over without any hassle.

All input is welcome.

As far as the steering wheel goes, a Grant conversion should work for you. They make an adapter plate for Studes & offer a wide variety of styles to fit your taste. I would try a Stude bucket seat first, perhaps one from a 61 Hawk since they are larger as far as width goes, not sure about the length. Have you spoken to a local upholstry shop about this yet? Perhaps J.P. can suggest something.

60 Lark convertible
    61 Champ
    62 Daytona convertible
    63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2)
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I dunno about your seat specifications, Bill, but I appreciate your enthusiasm for your life expectancy! BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Pic stolen from Ray F.'s site..

Billie, find someone with a '61 Hawk and check out the seats. They might work for ya.

FWIW, they're '61 Hawk ONLY. (Sound kinda familiar?)

And you might try a '57-60 Stude steering wheel... I'm pretty sure they're a bit smaller than the '56J wheel.

Matthew Burnette
        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Bill - I put 1964-65 Corvair bucket seats in my 56 Power Hawk. I also wanted to install a Grant steering wheel but could not find the correct adapter. They have 2 adapters listed for Studebaker but niether would fit the steering shaft on my 56 Hawk

Studebaker Fever
          60 Lark
          56 Power Hawk
          Phil Hendrickson
          Arnold, Missouri

Studebaker Fever
          60 Lark
          56 Power Hawk
          Phil Hendrickson
          Arnold, Missouri

Comment

Sounds like you want something more modern, probably from a late 80's
            to present car. The 4th Gen Camaro seats are some of the best simple
            seats I have sat in. I have logged over 200,000 miles in my '93 Z28
            and have never suffered from exhaustion due to the seats. These are
            quite plentiful and not to hard to install. Power seats were fairly
            common as well. Good recline ability, with the Firebird offering some
            more adjustability for lumbar, leg extention and headrest.

Bad backs run in my family, and I have lived with nerve issues. I did
            a thread on installing them into my Avanti, though for a Hawk you can
            use the factory sliders, and power seat mechanism.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
            '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
            Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
            http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
            I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Also, I must mention that the fabric seats are more comfortable than
              the leather ones, even though the leather look better. The fabric is
              also better at keeping you from sliding, that has a disadvantage when
              you are getting into the car, but an advantage when turning a corner.

Tom
              '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
              Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
              http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
              I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

The above pictures have given me ideas. Thanks. From what Tony Caralla told me, the 57 wheel will not mount/fit onto the 56 colum.

You guys gave me some great ideas. Now to execute on them.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X