Deciphering '51 Model and Type Codes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deciphering '51 Model and Type Codes

I'm the proud owner of a new (well, new to me) '51 Champion 4-door. It will be a total frame-off resto job, but the great part is, it's all original and complete except for 2 wheel covers and maybe the radio. Evidence on pedals, mats, and radiator fins would indicate that the 27,000 showing on the odometer is original, not turned over. As if that mattered. But I'm already off subject.

To help in the resto, and just for my curiosity, I ordered the production order from the Studebaker Museum. Can someone help me decipher the codes?

Model and Body Type: 10G-W5 BOAD
    Trim No.: 7629 CG-CL

From the explanation paper included with the production order--
    10G - 1951 Champion
    W - Four-Door Sedan (short wheelbase)

Nothing else matches the explanations on the page. It says under Trim codes, "This is the number that follows the body code. It denotes what trim level a vehicle is (Regal, Deluxe, Custom, etc...) These number/name designations varied from year to year."

That's no help at all! The first and biggest question I have about this car goes unanswered. Regal, Deluxe, or Custom? Can anybody tell me?

Also, I haven't been able to find any description of the differences between the three trim packages. Can anyone describe those?

W5 indicates a Regal 4-dr sedan

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1963 Cruiser
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Welcome to the Club! You can join at the top of these Forum pages for a first year discount.

The clue here that you are looking for is the W5 that's a Regal Champion, the best model made. There were Custom, Deluxe and Regal.

These body codes and starting serial numbers etc. are found in the Studebaker Chassis Parts Catalogs and the Body Parts Catalogs available at the Studebaker Vendors at studebakervendors.com in book or CD Rom Disc. form.

Some owners of these will have to give you the details, but basically you get the windshield, side window and rear back light stainless mouldings on the top of the line cars. In '51 it includes a nicer rear fender mud guard, rocker panel mouldings, chrome headlight rims, probably chrome vent window frames etc.

The Interior will also be nicer, with TWO Sunvisors, FOUR armrests and usually rear seat carpeting, better seat material and door panels etc.

OH, the BOAD word after the model, that is just a Western Union telegraph speak (code word) for the model and color of your car for cheaper fast in Company communications!

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Welcome to the Club! You can join at the top of these Forum pages for a first year discount.

The clue here that you are looking for is the W5 that's a Regal Champion, the best model made. There were Custom, Deluxe and Regal.
        Thanks! Already joined! Great bunch of folks.

That's exactly what I wanted to know. Now that I know it's a Regal, I can search out all of what that means, so I can do a proper restoration. It won't be a Concours-style resto. I want to drive it. But I'd like to be as true as I can to its original setup as I go along.

Comment

I think somebody made a missprint. The word should probably be BOAT. It means the car in question is a Regal Champion 4-door with overdrive. The factory wanted dealers to use the code words "in correspondence, car orders, and telegrams".

[img][img]
          Dwain G.
          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Probably would also have been more chrome on the dash and a deluxe horn ring. Clock and radio would still be an option, even in the Regal Champion.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
            X