Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame info swap question

If I understand the parts catalog correctly, part #1547224
    fits "W" & "F" bodies. Therefor my question is, will the frame from a 1960 "W" 4door sedan fit under a 1960 "F" 2door sedan body?

The wheelbase is the same?

thanks,

George
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    65 Commander 2door
    64 Wagonaire's ( 1 Canadian fixed roof disc brake car, the other sliding roof South Bend car.)

63 GT Hawk
    51 Champion Starlight Coupe
    George King
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Yes, the '59 and '60 F body (2 dr.) and W body (4 dr.) share the same frame and 108.5" wheelbase.

R2Andy
    R2Andrea

Comment

Thank you, Andy!

George
      Grants Pass, Oregon
      65 Commander 2door
      64 Wagonaire's ( 1 Canadian fixed roof disc brake car, the other sliding roof South Bend car.)

63 GT Hawk
      George King
      Grants Pass, Oregon

63 GT Hawk

Comment

yes thanks andy i will prepair a frame swap on KARL!
        HI DAD haha! i figured i would keep an eye on the post so you didnt have to email it to me!

George & Chief
        65 Commander 2 dr
        63 Champ Pickup
        60 lark 2 dr

Comment

I've been reading on the Jalopy Journal H.A.M.B Message board a lot of posts about converting "lowly' and "undesirable" 4door sedans into more desiable 2 doors. Quite a few of these very sucessful appearing conversions have been accomplished (mostly on Tri-Five Chevy's)
          Looks like the Lark (and '56-'58) body shells would be very easy to do this with.
          I would guess given Studebaker's rather simple and "bolt-together" consruction, with a lot of interchangability between yeras and models, that this would likely be easier to do on a Studebaker than any other make.
          Just an observation, as all of mine are already 2 dr. But a nice, solid '59-'60 would be tempting.
          Nah, just kidding. I -love- the '59-'60s as cute little 4 doors.
          But an otherwise "unwanted" '64-'66 would be another story, as I have a barn full of 2 door sheet metal, glass and trim for these, and would love to own a nice Challenger 2 door sedan. Just dreaming out loud you understand.

Comment

Jessie be aware that does not apply to the '62 -'66 4 drs. (Y bodies). They shared the 113" WB with the P bodies (wagons) while the 2 drs. (F,J and L bodies) used the 109" wheelbase. And while I'm not a huge fan of 4 drs. they are just as nice as the rest of the line.

R2Andy
            R2Andrea

Comment

Ok now i have a question,could you remove the rear doors and rear quarter panels and put 2 dr station wagon quarter panels on a 4 dr, or even 2 dr quarter panels. (Thinking of making a Larkamino) or are the 4 dr front doors too short?

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Geo. do you have the frame? I have a 64 2 door frame and it still has the front parts on it we just removed the rear springs ...Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Jessie J.

I've been reading on the Jalopy Journal H.A.M.B Message board a lot of posts about converting "lowly' and "undesirable" 4door sedans into more desiable 2 doors. Quite a few of these very sucessful appearing conversions have been accomplished (mostly on Tri-Five Chevy's)
                  Looks like the Lark (and '56-'58) body shells would be very easy to do this with. But a nice, solid '59-'60 would be tempting.

But an otherwise "unwanted" '64-'66 would be another story
                  I couldn't see going to all that trouble with a Stude. There are still quite a few 2drs. available for pretty cheap prices of all years. That's the beauty of Studebakers![^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                  Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Bob P.
                    We started out looking to replace the front crossmember but couldn't find one. Then went the route of trying to find a good welder to repair the crack in the crossmember, no dice, no one would tackle it.
                    So I found a 60 4door with no engine & trans to be the donor.
                    The car is a nice car so it will be saved for a later project when we can find another frame to put under it.

George
                    Grants Pass, Oregon
                    65 Commander 2door

63 GT Hawk
                    George King
                    Grants Pass, Oregon

63 GT Hawk

Comment

Hi George! Glad to see Karl is coming along. Hey Junior, any photos on progress available? Think maybe you could start a thread? Something for us nosey ones who don't get out much (ask your dad he'll tell ya).

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                      Ron Smith
                      Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                      Ron Smith
                      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Hi Ron,

I'll email you some pic's of Karl as he sits now.
                        Note the pic's are from last weekend.
                        More work to come now with two Studes apart!!
                        I think my son had better move up here before he runs out of room!!

Oh, and he doesn't go by "junior"!!

George
                        Grants Pass, Oregon

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car.

63 GT Hawk

George King
                        Grants Pass, Oregon

63 GT Hawk

Comment

An update on Karl.

We found a 60 Lark 4 door to rob the frame out from under. Turns out the car is too nice and solid with no floor rust. My Son didn't really want to part it out. But he wants Karl on the road.
                          We decided to use the frame from under the four door to get Karl on the road and save the four door for a future project. (Find another frame for it, ugh).
                          Yesterday I received an e-mail form a forum member who has come to the rescue! He has a crossmember that will replace the cracked one in Karl!
                          This saves my Son a huge amount of work and the four door from being robbed of it's frame.
                          Now all we need is a right front fender and a good front grille panel.
                          The engine has a new to it oil pan, the brakes are all new, brake hoses replaced, and master cylinder replaced.
                          The engine has been replaced at one time (as discussed in a previous post) after the engine and trans were pressure washed it appears that the trans has been replaced or gone thru as well. The trans was painted silver with a red trans pan.
                          Hopefully if all goes well, Karl will be back on the road for the summer. And probably for Drive your Studebaker day.
                          And now we have a four door Lark as a stable mate for Karl, name to be determined later.

George
                          Grants Pass, Oregon

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car.

63 GT Hawk

George King
                          Grants Pass, Oregon

63 GT Hawk

Comment

Yes i cant part with that 4 door. It looks clean so far.. then again i have not gone through the car like i have karl. Im waiting on that crossmember to get him going.. once i get that installed i can drop the engine and trans back in him and hit the streets..

George & Chief
                            Orange County CA
                            65 Commander 2 dr
                            63 Champ Pickup
                            60 lark 2 dr
                            60 Lark 4 dr

Comment

Working...
                            X