52 into a 50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 52 into a 50

I'm allmost afraid to ask this question but does anyone know of any other stude lover ever converting a 52 commander into a 50.
    Meaning a 2-door hardtop bullet nose?
    This is my first build and in my opinion there is nothing better to build than a studebaker.
    I'm sure its been done and would appreciate any input I can get.
    Thanks,
    Dean.

quote:Originally posted by dean pearson

I'm allmost afraid to ask this question but does anyone know of any other stude lover ever converting a 52 commander into a 50.
    Meaning a 2-door hardtop bullet nose?
    This is my first build and in my opinion there is nothing better to build than a studebaker.
    I'm sure its been done and would appreciate any input I can get.
    Thanks,
    Dean.
    Dean: Hopefully, "Aero Blue" from Avon IN will weigh in on this and encourage you to pull the plug on the idea before you expend much effort.

Aero bought a 1952 Champion Starlight coupe with an eye toward using the body to rebody his 1950 Starlight coupe in 1974-1975. The body mounts were so different and it was going to be so complicated that he sold the '52 as a complete car and sought a 1950 body.

They look similar, but the chassis mounts are so different it is not advisable. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Seems I read the clip wont work either.Someone with more knowledge should step in as I am relying on my memory about cars I have never fooled with but I think I read it on the forum here.Steve
      sigpic

Comment

I think I remember hearing that the 50 front clip wouldn't work at all, but a 51 would, with plenty of work...and you could install a 50-style bullet in the 51 nose of course. A bulletnose hardtop would be a really neat "phantom"...right up there with the C/K droptops seen on here occasionally (including Steve's gorgeous red one).

An easier conversion in the same vein: the 66 grille on a 64 HT...

S.

Comment

Now I'm getting somewhere, I've heard these same concerns before but to clarify I have a 52 commander 2-door hard top it came complete with all the 52 front end parts and was really in a pretty good shape for a car thats ten years older than I am.
          It also came with what I later found out was 51 champion front fenders and they are the same in length as the 52 fenders.
          A 50 model center piece and a 50 model hood,Dash and tail lights.
          I'm a welder by trade so I'm not afraid of doing a little modifying
          But apart from the inner sheet metal on the front fenders all these parts seem at least that they will bolt on.
          I still have all my 52 stuff so I can easily compare one year model to the other and it seems so simple I believe it has to have been done before.
          Any help is greatly appreciated,
          Thanks,
          Dean.

Comment

I thought that there was one pictured in Turning Wheels in the not too distant past.

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Gary's right, within the last two years there was one on the cover of TW. I'm not at home right now, but it was a 51 front end on a 52 HT body. Car was Grey with Maroon roof, IIRC.

Evan Davis
              Prairie Bulletin
              Saskatchewan Chapter
              Prince Albert, Sk
              Evan Davis
              Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

Check out the October 2003 issue of turning wheels to see former Studebaker employee Paul Oliver's beautiful 52 with 51 front end. The consummate phantom(page 10). The former Studebaker employee pictured with the 51 on (page 13) is my Dad Thomas Burks.

Richard Burks Middle TN Chapter
                53s
                57 Transtar
                My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
                sigpic
                Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
                in the Geographic center of Tennessee

Comment

The 51 front end will fit on a 52 fairly easily if you have all the 51 parts. The frames are the same. The 50 is a different car although it looks much like a 51. There was a 52 hardtop in Memphis a few years ago with the 51 front cap and 50 bullet. The only problem I had with it was that the owner was trying to tell people that it was a 50.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
                  "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
                  "In the heart of Arkansas."
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

I just went out and checked the fender to the body works, Fender to center piece works and as the fenders are the same length as the 52 fenders I can only ass/u/me that the hood works. the dash has an identical bolt pattern also so apart from all the wiring that should be fairly easy.
                    Another question I have is about chrome parts, I have allmost everything short of the rear view mirror that goes on the drivers door but was wondering if any cars in 50 had chrome pieces on top of the rear fenders and also if there is a reproduction chrome piece for the gas tank (filler door)?
                    Thanks,
                    Dean.

Comment

Dean
                      The wheel well on '50 fenders is closer to the rear edge of the fenders than the 51's wheel well is. This is cause there was a difference in wheelbase between 50 and 51.

There WAS an optional chrome trim piece that mounted atop the rear fenders and there were optional ones for the front fenders too.

If with regards to the filler door, you're talking about the "guard" that mounted on the lower edge of the opening, yes, there was such a piece optional and there were after-market ones too.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1963 Cruiser
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks for all the info. This forum is great!
                        Any Ideas on where to get these chrome parts both original and after market?
                        In response to Mr. 52fan I would never try to tell anyone that it is a true 50 model but cant wait to someday have my car in the local car show and have some crotchety old guy that knows more about studebakers than I ever will come along and tell me that my car was never actually made.
                        I want to have my car look as much as possible like a true 50 but I have a couple of ideas for my custom liscence plate that basically say that it's not.

Comment

quote:Any Ideas on where to get these chrome parts both original and after market?
                          Have you looked in TURNING WHEELS ?

Brad Johnson
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                          Brad Johnson,
                          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The was one in Springfield MO. It was an orange custom, but I have not seen it in a couple of years.

Comment

I seen one almost 10 years ago at a meet in Memphis, TN. It was a highly modified '52 hardtop with a '50 (not 51) front end. I've no idea what it took to do that swap, but it looked good. It was bright yellow with scallops cut into the rear quarter panels.

I also have seen the one that Evan and Richard mentioned prevously. It's a 52 HT with a 51 front clip, with a 50 bullet. If I remember right, Stephen Cade and his gang built that car. And it's a real beauty. (BTW, Mr. Oliver sold it a couple years back to a gentleman in Clearwater).

BTW Dean, if you need any parts for your hardtop, I've got a pretty rusty one that loves to give up parts for others to live.

Matthew Burnette
                              Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Working...
                              X