Any good, honest mechanics in L.A.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any good, honest mechanics in L.A.?

Hi! I was just hoping to find out if anyone knows of a mechanic in the L.A./West L.A. area who knows their way around a 1959 Studebaker. I'm a student who needs to drive from Del Rey to Santa Monica for classes and my car craps out on me from time to time. It's gotten to the point where everyone is telling me to buy a newer car - like a Kia - but I really don't want to! Any info would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

Rae~
    What sort of work do you need done [?]
    Do you belong to the LA SDC [?]
    Have you visited their website [?]
    (http://www.studebakersla.com/)

I ask these two questions because they can play into the answer. Some shops only do certain work on older cars. Folks in your local Chapter can help guide you to shops who know these cars. Some of them may do work 'on the side' so to speak.

There used to be a Studeshop in your part of town, but I'm not too sure of their reputation, or if they are even still there. Bill Oliver (Studebaker Parts & Service) is down in Long Beach, as well. http://www.studebakerpartsandservice.com/

StudeDave '57 [8D]
    San Diego, CA (for now)

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
    '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon)
    '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
    '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
    '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
    '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
    StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

You might try giving Bud Alenik a cll. He's in Hawthorne. He is in the book.

Jim
      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
      their Memorials!

Comment

First...they ARE old cars that have problems from time to time.

On the other hand, my 59 Lark is my daily driver also, that...for the most part, is pretty reliable.

I'm in Covina, about 40 or so miles from you.
        What seems to be the problem...?
        PM or e-mail me if youl'd like.

Mike

Comment

You can give me a call at 310-643-8100. I live about two miles south of LAX and I'd be more than happy to talk with you about your car. Bud

Comment

Bud,
            Welcome to the forum!

Jim
            "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
            their Memorials!

Comment

Working...
            X