1928 Studebaker truck picture needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1928 Studebaker truck picture needed

I have been pondering buying one of those 1928 Studebaker fire truck models and converting it into a moving van or other configuration. Does anybody out there have any pictures of 1928-1931 trucks, vintage or new, that I could use to decide if this is something that I want to tackle? I used to build models, but have been out of it for some time. This type of project could get me going again.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
    "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

This close? Badenoch Ontario Chapter swap meet last April...1928 Studebaker Bickle fire engine, belongs to Acton fire department.

Engine of the truck...

S.

Comment

If you think about it... many trucks of that era were rolling chassis, with about the only "factory" part being the front. In some cases, not even the seat was part of the assembly that went to the body plant. The truck builder would build the rest. So, you could probably be quiet creative and be considered "period correct" except for the most "anal" critics.

John Clary
      Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
      SDC member since 1975
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Couldn't tell... are you talking about building actual or just a model??

John's correct- in those days many trucks were sold as chassis, running gear, cowl, dash and front end. The rest was sent to any of a large and varied number of "coachbuilders". At one time most all cars were done the same way.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Yeah, Bams, you articulated it much better than I. Of course in Great Brittan, it would have been the Lori builder and I think our friends from "down-under" would call it the "Prime Mover." However, I know some of them are on this forum also, so I will defer to them.

John Clary
          Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
          SDC member since 1975
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

52-Fan,
            Go for it. The Studebaker firetruck is relatively inexpense. Model building is one of my hobbies. You would be amazed at all the Studebaker models available now. Check out some resin casting sites or eBay.

Gary Sanders
            Nixa, MO
            President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
            Gary Sanders
            Nixa, MO

Comment

The fire truck actually seemed like a better value for a first attempt even though it is 1/32 scale. I would love to build some of the resin models, but they are a lot more expensive.

Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Yes the firetruck would be a good starting point. The resin models kits start around $50.00. You can buy some resin bodies only for around $20.00. The standard 1953 Starliner and 1963 Avanti models are available and cheap.

Gary Sanders
                Nixa, MO
                President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                Gary Sanders
                Nixa, MO

Comment

I've got a stash of unbuilt 53 Starliners and 63 Avanti kits. The trucks are interesting because they haven't gotten much attention from the model companies.

Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
                  X