PDA

View Full Version : M5 weatherseal question

jjones
12-15-2006, 06:44 PM
Since it is now dropping into the 40s at night, I thought I might install the door windows in my M5 :D. I consulted Chuck Collins' and Gary Ash's excellent web sites for instructions, and everything is going well except the inside weatherseal (the piece that attaches to the window molding). The original was stapled on and the placement of the staples seems to be irregular, making it nearly impossible to hit the holes using a staple gun or something similar. Neither website addresses this problem--is there a better way to attach it?

jj

Roscomacaw
12-15-2006, 07:37 PM
I don't know how accessible those old staple holes are but what I've done when confronted with those is to cut some wire (you could even use some paper clips) and fashion new staples with needle-nose pliers and wire cutters. Manually fit these to the existing holes, poshing them thru the WS or pre-punhing holes in it before you fit it to the metal so that the staples fit thru it as well. Then crimp the staples over and you're good to go.[^]
BTW, I've worked on some of those industrial staplers in years past. Big flywheel's power pops those heavy gage staples right thru metal with ease. You sure wouldn't want your fingers in the way! In fact, I was installing guarding systems so that couldn't happen.[}:)]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle
http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/906179/2006/12/7/truckonhill3.jpg

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

hank63
12-16-2006, 03:15 AM
Or, you can do what I did to a brand X car recently. I didn't have time to muck around with home-made staples, so I bought a small tube of Superglue Extra, which is like a gel and doesn't run everywhere when you try to use it.
The result ? Impossible to tell the seal is glued in place, and rather quick and easy.
/H