This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paxton in 53 coupe?

the previous owner of my 53 C coupe put in a 64 Goldenhawk 259 V/8 auto trans and seats all from the Hawk. It works fine. I'm wondering can I fit a Paxton supercharger onto that engine in the 53 engine bay and not have to cut the hood? seems a shame to cut the hood..also the auto trans seems sluggish on the takeoff. Been talking to Myers about their 700R4 conversion, anybody familiar with that?...Rick Stratton 512-293-0094 or 288-7755

You can do it using the Avanti style R2/R3 style side mount blower. You'll need to modify the inner fender on the passenger side and move the radiator forward to clear the Avanti water pump housing.

JDP
    Arnold Md.
    Studebaker On The Net

My Ebay Items

64 GT hawk
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black)
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
    63 Avanti R1
    63 Daytona convert
    63 Lark 2 door
    63 Lark 2 door #2
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Hawk
    59 3E truck
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

You can do it using the Avanti style R2/R3 style side mount blower. You'll need to modify the inner fender on the passenger side and move the radiator forward to clear the Avanti water pump housing.

JDP
      Arnold Md.
      Studebaker On The Net

My Ebay Items

64 GT hawk
      63 Avanti R1
      63 Daytona convert
      63 Lark 2 door
      63 Lark 2 door #2
      62 Lark 2 door
      60 Hawk
      59 3E truck
      52 Starliner
      51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

I have one of Meyers adapters in my Stude with a 200-4R which is almost the same as a 700R-4 only lighter duty and smaller physically.
        You will have to fabricate a rear crosmember for the transmission and change the driveshaft length etc. Shifter is another problem, I used a floorshift set up, which was the easiest in my case.You will also have to buy and install a convertor lockup wiring setup if you want a lockup convertor and then I bought an adjustable TV cable because the transmission cable adjustment is critical.Check with Bowtie Overdrives website for more info, all this is available from them and others.
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I have one of Meyers adapters in my Stude with a 200-4R which is almost the same as a 700R-4 only lighter duty and smaller physically.
          You will have to fabricate a rear crosmember for the transmission and change the driveshaft length etc. Shifter is another problem, I used a floorshift set up, which was the easiest in my case.You will also have to buy and install a convertor lockup wiring setup if you want a lockup convertor and then I bought an adjustable TV cable because the transmission cable adjustment is critical.Check with Bowtie Overdrives website for more info, all this is available from them and others.
          Frank van Doorn
          Omaha, Ne.
          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
          1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
          1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I don't know if the 53 hood is lower than a 56 Hawk hood, but I have ran two different supercharger setups on my Hawk. The 57-58 Golden Hawk supercharger setup will fit if the half height motor mounts are used. The Golden Hawk had a hole in the hood, but used the stock height motor mounts. The Avanti side mount will fit if you cut a hole in the fender. I didn't have to move the radiator, but I did remove the fan shroud. The 63-64 Hawk and Lark supercharger mounts lower on the engine so it might fit under the 53 hood.
            David
            PS. There is no such thing as a 64 Goldenhawk. Also I think 64 Hawks came with 289s. Sorry to nitpick.

Comment

I don't know if the 53 hood is lower than a 56 Hawk hood, but I have ran two different supercharger setups on my Hawk. The 57-58 Golden Hawk supercharger setup will fit if the half height motor mounts are used. The Golden Hawk had a hole in the hood, but used the stock height motor mounts. The Avanti side mount will fit if you cut a hole in the fender. I didn't have to move the radiator, but I did remove the fan shroud. The 63-64 Hawk and Lark supercharger mounts lower on the engine so it might fit under the 53 hood.
              David
              PS. There is no such thing as a 64 Goldenhawk. Also I think 64 Hawks came with 289s. Sorry to nitpick.

Comment

The 53 hood is way lower in front then the Hawk hood.

JDP
                Arnold Md.
                Studebaker On The Net

My Ebay Items

64 GT hawk
                63 Avanti R1
                63 Daytona convert
                63 Lark 2 door
                63 Lark 2 door #2
                62 Lark 2 door
                60 Hawk
                59 3E truck
                52 Starliner
                51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

The 53 hood is way lower in front then the Hawk hood.

JDP
                  Arnold Md.
                  Studebaker On The Net

My Ebay Items

64 GT hawk
                  63 Avanti R1
                  63 Daytona convert
                  63 Lark 2 door
                  63 Lark 2 door #2
                  62 Lark 2 door
                  60 Hawk
                  59 3E truck
                  52 Starliner
                  51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

As to your questions about the 200-4R or the 700R4, figure a minimum of $2,000 to do a quality conversion. (No, I don't want to hear the story about the tranny you got for free and your brother-in-law is a race car fabricator who owed you money.) If you buy the BowTieOverdrives throttle valve linkage kit, a quality performance rebuilt transmission, the adapter, the crossmember, the driveshaft, the shifter; there is no way to do it right for less. Cutting corners on this conversion is guaranteed to make you crazy chasing problems or end up destroying the transmission or both.

My recommendation: go with a 200-4R and get step-by-step advice from someone who has successfully done it.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
                    PackardV8

Comment

As to your questions about the 200-4R or the 700R4, figure a minimum of $2,000 to do a quality conversion. (No, I don't want to hear the story about the tranny you got for free and your brother-in-law is a race car fabricator who owed you money.) If you buy the BowTieOverdrives throttle valve linkage kit, a quality performance rebuilt transmission, the adapter, the crossmember, the driveshaft, the shifter; there is no way to do it right for less. Cutting corners on this conversion is guaranteed to make you crazy chasing problems or end up destroying the transmission or both.

My recommendation: go with a 200-4R and get step-by-step advice from someone who has successfully done it.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
                      PackardV8

Comment

quote:Originally posted by RicksWrecks

the previous owner of my 53 C coupe put in a 64 Goldenhawk 259 V/8 auto trans and seats all from the Hawk.

No "Golden Hawk in '64 (it was called a Gran Turismo Hawk...the Golden Hawks were '56-'58)...no 259 in a Hawk in '64. It would have been a full flow 289 (desirable motor).

quote:also the auto trans seems sluggish on the takeoff.
                        If it was the trans that came with the '64 Hawk, it is a three speed transmission, but it will normally start in 2nd gear (unless you floor it from a stop and/or manually shift to 1st). There are first gear start conversions available from Studebaker vendors. This should solve the problem of being "sluggish on the takeoff"

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA
                        Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by RicksWrecks

the previous owner of my 53 C coupe put in a 64 Goldenhawk 259 V/8 auto trans and seats all from the Hawk.

No "Golden Hawk in '64 (it was called a Gran Turismo Hawk...the Golden Hawks were '56-'58)...no 259 in a Hawk in '64. It would have been a full flow 289 (desirable motor).

quote:also the auto trans seems sluggish on the takeoff.
                          If it was the trans that came with the '64 Hawk, it is a three speed transmission, but it will normally start in 2nd gear (unless you floor it from a stop and/or manually shift to 1st). There are first gear start conversions available from Studebaker vendors. This should solve the problem of being "sluggish on the takeoff"

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA
                          Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

You have me confused with your "64 Goldenhawk 259." As has been posted, there is no such thing. I do not know if you have a ('56)'57-'58 Golden Hawk engine and supercharger set up, a '64 Gran Turismo Hawk engine and supercharger set up or a 259 engine retrofitted with a supercharger set up. Any of these are possible, but what you list is not possible. Golden Hawks were only made in 1956-1958 and the only Hawk in 1964 was a Gran Turismo Hawk. None of these Hawks used a 259 (except a few export 1964s).

I built a 1953 Commander Starliner with a supercharged 1957 Golden Hawk engine. The engine has to be lowered a small amount for the hood to close completely. This is usually done with lower engine mounts and the solenoid cover. I used a 1955 Studebaker/Borg Warner automatic transmission. Which supercharger mount you use has the biggest effect on whether it will fit under the C/K hood, or not.

Please post your engine number (stamped on the top, left, front of the block) so that we may determine exactly what engine you are starting with.

Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

You have me confused with your "64 Goldenhawk 259." As has been posted, there is no such thing. I do not know if you have a ('56)'57-'58 Golden Hawk engine and supercharger set up, a '64 Gran Turismo Hawk engine and supercharger set up or a 259 engine retrofitted with a supercharger set up. Any of these are possible, but what you list is not possible. Golden Hawks were only made in 1956-1958 and the only Hawk in 1964 was a Gran Turismo Hawk. None of these Hawks used a 259 (except a few export 1964s).

I built a 1953 Commander Starliner with a supercharged 1957 Golden Hawk engine. The engine has to be lowered a small amount for the hood to close completely. This is usually done with lower engine mounts and the solenoid cover. I used a 1955 Studebaker/Borg Warner automatic transmission. Which supercharger mount you use has the biggest effect on whether it will fit under the C/K hood, or not.

Please post your engine number (stamped on the top, left, front of the block) so that we may determine exactly what engine you are starting with.

Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X