Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to pick the brains of '37 owners....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to pick the brains of '37 owners....

Hey guys,

Anyone out there in Studaville ever disassembled a '37 grill for repair? Looks to be a spot weld popping job, at least! Thanks, Jimmy http://community.webshots.com/user/Jimmy655

I'm sure that our very own Jeff Rice has...

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, Georgia
    '59 Scotsman PU
    '63 Daytona HT

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Comment

Matthew Burnette
      Hazlehurst, Georgia
      '59 Scotsman PU
      '63 Daytona HT

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Comment

you have to remove the center chrome. the two halves are rivited together. drill them out. the fins are bent tabs. if the fins are not bent you can sand them from the back with a dremmel tool with a small drum sander. just tape the chrome edege. thats how I did mine. only replaced a few bottom fins. hope this helps. good luck

frank

Comment

you have to remove the center chrome. the two halves are rivited together. drill them out. the fins are bent tabs. if the fins are not bent you can sand them from the back with a dremmel tool with a small drum sander. just tape the chrome edege. thats how I did mine. only replaced a few bottom fins. hope this helps. good luck

frank

Comment

What Frank said....
            If you can find a source for replacements for that center stainless strip, let me know.
            I pray for your sanity for what you are about to partake..
            Jeff[8D]

[quote]Originally posted by mbstude

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
            Brooklet, Georgia
            '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
            '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
            '61 Hawk (project)
            http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

What Frank said....
              If you can find a source for replacements for that center stainless strip, let me know.
              I pray for your sanity for what you are about to partake..
              Jeff[8D]

[quote]Originally posted by mbstude

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
              Brooklet, Georgia
              '61 Hawk (project)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks Frank....Kinda scary, the thought of poppin' that grill center spine open but the spine itself isn't straight and there's no other way to do it. What's the story on the solid round bar inside the center spine? support, keeping the inside louver tabs in place?
                Hey Jeff...too late, I've already lost my sanity during the inital stages of the IFS install (see latest photo). Fatman's (a company I've always had high reguard for) '37 Studebaker crossmember leaves much to be desired! Finally just said the heck with it and decided to mark the frame for a level crossmember @ 3 degree forward rake and when the frame doesn't cooperate, I'll fabricate. Thanks guys...Jimmy http://community.webshots.com/user/Jimmy655

Comment

Thanks Frank....Kinda scary, the thought of poppin' that grill center spine open but the spine itself isn't straight and there's no other way to do it. What's the story on the solid round bar inside the center spine? support, keeping the inside louver tabs in place?
                  Hey Jeff...too late, I've already lost my sanity during the inital stages of the IFS install (see latest photo). Fatman's (a company I've always had high reguard for) '37 Studebaker crossmember leaves much to be desired! Finally just said the heck with it and decided to mark the frame for a level crossmember @ 3 degree forward rake and when the frame doesn't cooperate, I'll fabricate. Thanks guys...Jimmy http://community.webshots.com/user/Jimmy655

Comment

Having installed a couple of FatMan Fab front ends (into non-Stude's), I can tell you that all the older stuff is 'close', but rarely is it precise. But, rarely do 65+ year old frames stay square, either. Just square up your frame (check the diagonals too!) and block it for setting the new crossmember. Make sure you set the crossmember so you can get the right caster, or you may make it harder to align, Also think hard about your finished ride height and your lower grille section. Since you are rebuilding your grille, you should consider recountouring the lower nose grille opening to flatten it out a bit. Otherwise, if you set your ride height 'in the weeds', you will live in fear of every curb and gas station driveway when you drive[B)].

You really won't see the bottom of the nose enough to say it doesn't look right, but an additional inch of ground clearance there can help you soften the front suspension so it rides nice without fear of scraping the nose. (BTDT)...
                    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Jimmy Clarke

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
                    Brooklet, Georgia
                    '61 Hawk (project)

Jeff

Comment

Having installed a couple of FatMan Fab front ends (into non-Stude's), I can tell you that all the older stuff is 'close', but rarely is it precise. But, rarely do 65+ year old frames stay square, either. Just square up your frame (check the diagonals too!) and block it for setting the new crossmember. Make sure you set the crossmember so you can get the right caster, or you may make it harder to align, Also think hard about your finished ride height and your lower grille section. Since you are rebuilding your grille, you should consider recountouring the lower nose grille opening to flatten it out a bit. Otherwise, if you set your ride height 'in the weeds', you will live in fear of every curb and gas station driveway when you drive[B)].

You really won't see the bottom of the nose enough to say it doesn't look right, but an additional inch of ground clearance there can help you soften the front suspension so it rides nice without fear of scraping the nose. (BTDT)...
                      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Jimmy Clarke

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
                      Brooklet, Georgia
                      '61 Hawk (project)

Jeff

Comment

Jeff,

Posted my reply on the tech forum.....Jimmy

Comment

Jeff,

Posted my reply on the tech forum.....Jimmy

Comment

I heard that the rear side strip from a 65 buick special 2 door can be used for the center strip. I had a good one off the parts car so did not have to try it.

Frank

Comment

I heard that the rear side strip from a 65 buick special 2 door can be used for the center strip. I had a good one off the parts car so did not have to try it.

Frank

Comment

Working...
                              X