Tracking upgrades?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tracking upgrades?

Upon its resurrection, my '53 will be an amalgamation of various brake and drivetrain parts from 1953 to 1963, as well as sundry other upgrades.

It strikes me that in another forty years, when I'm 98, someone else may own this car. When they go looking for a u-joint, brake cylinder or fuel pump (not implying Studebakers ever need repaired) they may appreciate documentation of the changes that have been made.

Has anyone else kept an upgrade record, with the intention of passing it to a future owner?

Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

You know I was just wondering about that the other day. I was reading an old TW about an Avanti race car #1963 out at Bonneville. The owner was one of the original TW founders I guess becuase they mentioned him and others back in the day addressing and mailing subscriptions by hand every month. Anyway to my point, in one of the photos of the car they were standing at the rear with they trunk open. On the inside of the trunk lid it appeared as though they had written all their notes about the car on the bottom of the deck lid with a permenant marker.

So it got me thinking the only way to do this for future generations would be to mount a soft non corrosive metal plate useing a letter punch under the hood. Essentualy makeing an updated data tag. Paper work would be nice, but it gets lost. Also If something happened to me what are the odds my wife would pass it on. Maybe more work than its worth, but I bet you could stamp out a small tag with all upgrades makes model & part #'s in a few hours at the most depending on what all you have done.

John

53' 2R5 R1 Powershift TT Under Construction

57' Transtar 304 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction (in Picture)

58' 3E6D Stock Sale Pending

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

Uhhhh... WHAT?!?!?!?!?

John-- those are people's signitures and well wishes~

Mine is in there somewhere...

Ron Hall's Avanti ROCKS!!!!

RIP Ron-- you DID IT, MAN!!!!

StudeDave '57 [8D]
      StudeDave '57
      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
      SDC Member since 1985

past President
      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
      San Diego Chapter SDC
      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Brad, are you planning on giving it up so soon? I have tried to keep receipts for certain parts, and records in the glove compartment. Trouble is, those things tend to pile up. I also learned today while I was looking through some of my parts stash, that certain inks fade and disappear over time. I also have some "restoration" scrapbooks. They have also become somewhat "shop-worn" over time. So if you come up with a good method, let us know. The next thing is how to remember where you put it!

John Clary
        Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
        SDC member since 1975
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Sorry Dave I guess us young wippersnappers don't get stuff like that sometimes. I am just turning 35 this month and probably wasn't even born when that photo was taken. It must have been so cool to be part of something like that. Signatures and well wishes boy that makes alot more sence.

John

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

Comment

No worries, John. I'm not even 39 myself. (yet) [:0]
            Ron made those runs in the late '80s and early '90s.

Some YouTube videos were posted here not too long ago...

month or less, maybe [?] [?] [?]

StudeDave '57 [8D]
            StudeDave '57
            US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
            San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

Boy I could have made it to those runs, Although I hadn't bought my first stude till 94' and was all Mopar prior to that.

What ever happened to Rons Avanti is someone still running it or is just in a safe place somewhere?

John

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 289stude

What ever happened to Rons Avanti is someone still running it or is just in a safe place somewhere? John
                In the Studebaker National Museum, that car is... [^]

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                StudeDave '57
                US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
                San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

If you keep your vehicle any length of time you may need that list yourself. Especially as you get older. I've had a Power Wagon for about 15 yrs now that uses only original sheet metal and frame with springs. Nothing else. I have to consult my list from time to time as the memory
                  fades as to what I used to build it. I keep a list on the 56J as well

Comment

I keep a file folder on every car with receipts, maintenance performed and modification information. Helpful to keep track of costs, maintenance schedules and as you point out, modifications. Only takes a few minutes a month to up-date (per vehicle) but saves hours of looking things up. It is also impressive to the new owner when it changes hands.

Working with aircraft, they have very extensive log books, has taught the meaning and value of paperwork. I can look as see when brakes were changed, bearings lubed, tires, belts and hoses installed, etc. I replace rubber products before 7 years and it is the only way to keep track.

Comment

I keep what I have bought for my 52 Studebaker on a Excel spreadsheet.

The items, where I bought them, the item number, and the cost. The cost is very depressing!

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Man-o-man....
                        I dunno about writing every change down with a permanent marker...
                        (You know how anal some guys can get when it comes to their Studes)
                        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by 289stude

You know I was just wondering about that the other day. I was reading an old TW about an Avanti race car #1963 out at Bonneville. The owner was one of the original TW founders I guess becuase they mentioned him and others back in the day addressing and mailing subscriptions by hand every month. Anyway to my point, in one of the photos of the car they were standing at the rear with they trunk open. On the inside of the trunk lid it appeared as though they had written all their notes about the car on the bottom of the deck lid with a permenant marker.
                        <snip>

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I haven't as yet done that, but when I got my '55 coupe, the guy who had restored it, Ray Martin, was kind enough to send me not only all of his notes, receipts, and pictures on what he had done, but also a letter he had gotten from the original owner telling him about the car and what HE had done to it over the years [ like remove a stuck hill holder]

Ray also made notes of the quirks he found in the car after restoration such as an inability to shift into second without binding and a strange clunk in the front end[ most of which I fixed]

It was nice to know for sure that the engine is a 259 and not a 224, and it and the transmission had both been totally rebuilt

All that is still in my glovebox for the next guy

Comment

And Jeff-- you are a very sick man lolol

Comment

Hey Jeff you would need a fist full of notes for you notes.

John

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

Comment

Working...
                              X