'57 Prez diff ratio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '57 Prez diff ratio

I have '57 President parts car and was trying to figure out what the rear differential ratio might be. I wallowed around in the mud and found the tag, but the ratio number seem to be barfed up and are pretty much unreadable. It had an automatic in it. Does anyone have any idea of what ratio was usually standard? Right now I don't really feel like trying to jack it up in the mud and sheep poop and cranking the wheel around while 150 sheep have their faces hanging out waiting for something to eat. Thanks!

3.31:1, I would guess.

Ross.
    Riverside, Ca.
    1957 Provincial X2
    1958 Transtar
    1963 Lark
    sigpic
    Ross.
    Riverside, Ca.
    1957 Provincial X2
    1958 Transtar

Comment

MOST likely, a 3:31 as Ross suggests. However, there's a chance it's 3:07 or 3:54

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

John; the others are correct, with Automatic if it is a W,Y, or F body it SHOULD be 3.31, Wagons are often 3.54.
        Of course as you know after 49 years, things get changed. Also it could have been special ordered for trailering or whatever, and have a 3.54 axle ratio, or even highway gears of 3.07. Not all that likely, but as Biggs said very possible.[^] When you get it out of the mud you will be able to pull the cover and read the ring and pinion numbers stamped in the edge of the ring gear. Then you will have the chance to drain the oil, replace the pinion seal, axle tube seals, cover gasket and install new GL5 80/90 Wt. Oil and limited slip additive (Chrysler/Jeep friction modifier) if TT equipped. []
        Rich.

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks fellows!

Comment

Working...