Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OHV 6 head questions

Couple of questions, now that the head is at the machine shop:
    1) where is it that these heads tend to crack?
    2) I have 3 heads with 2 different head castings (left the paper with the numbers at the shop) Two have the heater water outlet at the rear, one at the front. I think the one with it at the front is the earlier design, and the one more prone to cracking..can anyone help here?
    3)given the odd head deign, part of the chamber is well over the block deck, the shop did not see that there really would be any gains byn improving the deck height. The pistons are currently about 0.032" below the deck. As far as the odd head design, about 1/2 of the exhaust valve is over the deck, and the head gasket is .070" compressed. Only a small part of the piston would meet the flat part of the head, and so there may be no gains other than compression ratio, which I don't need. Any thoughts on this?

Ron Dame
    '63 Champ
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

The most common place for these to crack, for sure needs to be magnafluxed/Die checked, is between the valves.

I see no reason to EVER mess with the deck height, it was built where it needs to be.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Cracking between the seats or in the bowls? I think I heard the bowls once, but would expect the seats more frequently

As far as deck height, the effects of squish/quench distances weren't too clearly known back then. Many engines ( Volvo pushrod engines for certain) can gain a lot of power, economy and ping resistance by ensuring proper squish (something like .035 piston to head)...I don't think it's gonna work on the OHV 6, but maybe on the V8s it would be effective, maybe not.

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

The most common place for these to crack, for sure needs to be magnafluxed/Die checked, is between the valves.

I see no reason to EVER mess with the deck height, it was built where it needs to be.
      Ron Dame
      '63 Champ
      Ron Dame
      '63 Champ

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Ron Dame

Cracking between the seats or in the bowls?
        Seats.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

also they crack from valve seat through spark plug hole.

Comment

Working...
          X