Power Steering Issues - Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Steering Issues - Help

1st-off....what was the operation like before you replaced the hoses & resealed the pump ? No puking ? 2nd...did you do anything to the other components (the ram cylinder and/or the valve) ??....Not knowing the answers to the above, I'd make sure that the pump is vented by the hole under/near the wing nut....

Comment

I'll bet the fluid is bright red and bubbley......your system still has air and it is being "blended", increasing volume and causing the overflow. Just have to wait for things to settle down, fire it up and turn the wheel to the left stop, over to the right stop, center it up and shut it down. Do it again after a couple of cold adult beveages and you should be good to go....

Bill, Many Fords and one great Stude!

Comment

The operation was fine. Tested after pump rebuild and prior to the hoses being changed and all was fine. Only touched the pump and the hoses. I believe that the pump is venting as it intermittently bubbles fluid out of the vent/wing nut area.

I have raised the front off the ground and turned the wheel lock to lock 10 to 12 times several times over the course of 3-5 days. Shouldn't this have solved the "blending" or elimination of air pockets?

Checked the pump when running and the cover off, plenty of fluid movement going on, no bubbles noticed. Also of note it only does this at highway speed (60-65 mph @2700 rpm).

Comment

Okay, here is a long shot, but it happened to me. Check this if you are sure all the hoses are correct. There is a pressure relief valve in the pump. I replaced my pump with a rebuilt one and that one had a bad pressure relief valve. The valves purpose is to limit the pressure that the pump is sending to the control valve and assist ram. As the engine turns faster the pump will develop more pressure. More pressure creates heat, heat causes the fluid to burn and break down. After a 60 mile drive the pump was toast and the fluid had a distinctive odor, not unlike burnt toast only more pungent. I did notice a bit of a whine from the pump, but the only other clue was the fluid being forced out when the engine was at highway speed. Maybe that valve got messed up in yours?

Tim K.
          '64 R2 GT Hawk
          Tim K.
          \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Tim,

I will see what I can find out about the valve.

Steve

Comment

GTtim, You were almost right on the money!

Was able to finally get out and work on the pump between snow storms and found that the spring for the valve had broken off and jammed the valve. The remaining fluids "distinctive odor" was the first hint to check here.

So after replacing the spring and several fluid flushes things are working well again. The pump is a little noisy but it will work until the "spare" on gets back from being rebuilt and then it will get rebuilt also.

Thanks to all for the assistance and support!
              Steve

Comment

Working...
              X