Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looks like there's NOT a Clipper in my future!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like there's NOT a Clipper in my future!

Well, I got to see the Clipper just a bit ago. I even set on it's pristine, original upholstery! This car's a survivor - it really is. It was bought new in Burlingame, CA and was never driven by anyone but one gal. She put a total of 51K on the clock before it's last registration sticker of 1988. She musta been a good driver, cause there's not a dent or scratch on it's finish anywhere. Take that back - there's two mouldings missing from the RR door, but it didn't appear any damage was done when and however the mouldings went missing. There was one very minor ding in another moulding, but it didn't cry out to be noticed.
    Few chips in the paint around the left HL bezel and a couple of minor scratches on the lower edge of the trunk lid. Filthy with dust - as you can see, but there's no doubt in my mind that it would crank up and run with a little tinkering.
    She'd had the good sense to put plastic covers on the front seat, so it's really pretty nice. Looked a bit dingy, but I'd fbet it's just dust!
    The ol' feller than owns it now, just keeps it in the late aunts garage as a memorial to her. He's not trying to sell it BUT would. Has he got a price in mind? Yes. Did he tell me? Yes. It wouldn't be outta line if you really wanted a '56 Clipper Custom sedan. Especially one this clean and rust free. I looked under the rear bumper and there was an oil trail leading the rear axle, but the exterior of the gas tank was still silvery gray!
    Self-levelling, torshion bar suspension, the old guy kept saying over and over. Power steering - I don't know about power brakes.

Sorry about the one interior photo - I blurred it, but you can still see how nice the seats are!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1963 Cruiser
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Quick! Go buy a lottery ticket.

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island

The NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
    May 23 & 24, 2009; check it out at -
    http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/
    </h5>
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

Thats sounds good. Storage all these years and free wow. I can't wait to see what you got there

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Wife came home tonight after a day of union business. She asked if I thought I might be interested in a '55 Packard Clipper - for free!

Guy she was working with today - overheard her say something to someone else about my Studes. At lunch he asked if she thought I might have any interest in a Packard Clipper that he'd inherited from a deceased aunt. Been garaged all along, but hasn't been driven in 7 or 8 years now. I'll know more in a few weeks.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1963 Cruiser
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President two door

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
      53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
      57 SH (project)
      60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
      53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
      57 SH (project)
      60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Lucky dog! I wish something like that would happen to me. I love the '55 and '56 Packards. I hope it's a nice one Bob.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

It might prove to be very interesting indeed. Supposedly, the late aunt owned it since new.[] She left it to this guy that wants to give it to me and he's had it stored in his dad's garage since sometime in the 80s or 90s. I just hope the engine isn't siezed.[:I]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1963 Cruiser
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Pretty neat! [8D]

Pictures ASAP please.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Cool beans, Bob.

If it is a 1955 Clipper DeLuxe or Clipper Super with a seized engine, I have a spare 1955 320 Packard V-8 here in the garage for it...of course, the freight to California from Indiana might be a little steep!

(Find me a nice, dry Astra White 1964 Daytona Wagonaire [] out there and we might work something out, though.[8D]) BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

some guys get all the luck! GRRR....envy is a sin, envy is a sin, envy is a sin. (I hafta remind myself sometimes!)

1963 Lark, 259 V8, two-tone paint, Twin Traction. I can't wait till the salt is off the roads!!

Comment

Great!
                  Good to see it get a good home...

63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                  63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Reminds me of the 1955-1956 Clipper that I advertised as being available for free and no interest was shown in it. That was about 20 years ago. I guess the value hasn't gone up much since &lt;G&gt;.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Well, for FREE, I'm not gonna turn it down unless it's a ragged ball of rust. But going on what little the guy told my wife about it, it might well crank and drive.
                      I could WISH it were a hardtop, but any number of doors will be OK. I could WISH for a standard shift, but likely it'll be an auto, given a woman owned it.[:X]

It's gonna be at least Thursday before I know any more about this deal.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1963 Cruiser
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President two door

Comment

Bob P., is the 320 a good engine? I've never had one or read much about what they're like. Is it the same basic block as the 352?

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1963 Cruiser
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe
                        1957 President two door

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Bob P., is the 320 a good engine? I've never had one or read much about what they're like. Is it the same basic block as the 352?
                          Sure, Bob; the 320 engine is a good engine...and is essentially the same as a 352 or 374. In fact, all versions of the Packard V-8 had the same stroke: 3 1/2". Only the bore differed:

320: 3 13/16" bore (1955 Clipper Super & Clipper DeLuxe)
                          352: 4" bore (1955 Clipper Custom, all Senior 1955 Packards, all 1956 Clippers, and 1956 Executive.)
                          374: 4 1/8" bore (all 1956 Senior Packards)

Now, as for the specific 320 I have in my garage: I have no idea if it is any good. It came with my 1956 Clipper Super hardtop as a "spare part" when I bought the car in September 1992. I've never tried to turn it; it's just a blob of dirty grease right now, sitting on a custom-made wooden dolly so I could roll it around. I just wiped off the stamped engine number and saw that it was a 1955, 320 engine...not a 1956 352, if it was to be a real spare for my '56.

Incidentally, Bob, the stamped engine number is in exactly the same place as on a Studebaker V-8, when you go to look at your "freebie" Clipper. The engine number and the car's serial number will match if it has the original engine in it, unlike Studebakers. (It can be a little hard to read if the car has an oil filter, but not impossible.)

Keep us posted; anything free in this hobby is exciting! BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Biggs, I'm thinking good (hopeful) thoughts for you. A nice, two-tone Constellation hardtop with factory A/C would be just the ticket for you to be tooling around the Valley in summer! With a big stogie and straw boater, of course

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                            '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Late development......... I'll know more about the car later today. But I had an offer to haul it here for free (it's sitting several hundred miles south of me) if it comes to be.

Yeah Clark - I'd take a Constellation with or without AC! Got a straw hat[^], but I'd pass on the throat cancer dispenser![xx(]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1963 Cruiser
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe
                              1957 President two door

Comment

Working...
                              X