Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headliner tack strips

Hello Stude people,

Before I install my front and rear glass in a C body 53 Commander I need to replace some of the headliner tack strips. The few good pieces I have appear to be some sort of dense treated cardboard attached with spiral nails. There is a row of spiral nails circling the rear quarter window openings so I assume a tack strip goes there too. What do most of you guys use to replace the missing ones. I looked through the vender catalogs but couldn't find a listing.

Thanks for all your help ahead of time,

Dave Davis
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    1953 Commander Regal Starlight
    '58 392 Chrysler Hemi powered
    Dave Davis
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    \'58 392 Chrysler Hemi powered

Look for "Restoration Specialties". I believe they have a website. I bought enough plastic strip they sell for this purpose some years ago. You want the 5/8" wide stuff. Used small countersunk sheet metal screws instead of those threaded nails to attach to the car. Staple gun to attach the headliner to the strip.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

They got it. I've used it. As jeff said, use screws to attach the strip to the body. It's better than the original.

Brad Johnson
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I made my own tack strips out of the same plastic that kitchen cutting boards are made of. It comes in sheets of various thichnesses, sizes and colors. Mine is black. Bought a scrap 3/4" thick piece about 8Ft long and 12" wide at a plastics distributor in Tacoma, ran it through my table saw to get the correct thickness and width. Countersunk some sheet metal screws to hold the plastic in place. It holds the staples from my electric staple gun really well. The only downside is that the plastic "sawdust" is pretty intense and is hard to clean up. --48M5
        sigpic
        48M5
        Sumner, WA

Comment

You folks are great! The tip about the sheet metal screws helps too, I wasn't sure if the nails could be reused and hold well enough.

It's taken a year longer than I planned, but things are going back on the car for the final time. I'll post pictures when I feel it's worthy. I think Jeff Rice (Deepnhock) will like the color.

Thanks again,

Dave Davis
          Bakersfield, Ca.
          '58 392 Chrysler Hemi powered
          Dave Davis
          Bakersfield, Ca.
          \'58 392 Chrysler Hemi powered

Comment

Working...
          X