When is a car a parts car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When is a car a parts car?

I know I'll get in trouble for asking this question, but I can't resist. It should make for good conversation.

I think a car is a parts car when it's not very unique, every panel has rust through or massive dents, the frame is shot and the doors are falling off. I think my criteria are much tougher than a lot of people's.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

When no one will pay more than it's worth in parts.
    Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

When the owner of the car wants to part it out.

Matthew Burnette
      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

If the top don't flop it's a parts car.
        Klif

55 Speedster
        63 Avanti R2
        55 Speedster/Street Machine
        63 Avanti R2
        64 Convertible R1

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bob40

When no one will pay more than it's worth in parts.
          Yikes! Don't go by that! That's a good way to get some nice-driving cars junked unnecessarily

That's a tough question to answer, like a moving target... but my stab at an answer is, if the frame is rusted out, that will kill all but the most valuable models- that's the biggest indicator. But some cars, like maybe a complete r2 package car, are worth even a frame replacement. See what I mean about the moving target?

Ultimately, I don't think there is a hard and fast answer to that question. Really the only way is on a case-by-case basis.

I have a couple borderline cases:

1. 62 GT 289 4-speed, runs and drives, full gauges, decent seats and door panels. Floors were replaced, quality work. Body panels decent and straight, glass good, trim mostly good. Severely rusted frame, and floor braces rusted out and not replaced.

2. 61 Lark 4dsd, 259 3-speed, no O/D; engine turns. Off road and stored inside since 1967. Absolutely no rust, floors, frame, even exhaust looks like brand new. Decent seats, door panels, dash. Rolled over, no glass, all doors and RR quarter damaged.

I thought hard about both, but decided both were parts cars. Maybe someday I'll get a clean, solid GT body shell and frame and transfer everything over. The Lark is SO clean I almost put a roof on it and fixed the doors and glass. Ultimately I sold the fenders to someone who really needed them and have the rest stored inside for future use. Got most of my money back through the fender sale.

In both cases I had to think about what I would pay for a comparable in driving condition; and weigh that against my desire to see as many as possible saved and returned to the road- a big thing to me. Not easy decisions!

As I said, decide on a car-by-car basis, and ask knowledgeable folks for their opinion; then make a decision and go with it!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
          Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

This is EASY! When 'that' car has a part that MY car needs!!

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Thats been my philosophy for over 30 years.
              Works well....for me.Opinions may vary.
              The 'save it all' arguement can and will
              lead to situations such as the cars listed on
              Craigslist in Iowa,the cars and trucks in PA.
              that was a thread subject a few weeks ago.
              A chapter member up here with 45+ Studes that
              are now virtually worthless..all because they
              were bought by someone who wanted to save them.
              In that process they died from neglect and no one
              got needed parts for actual running driving cars.
              Some must die for others to live.Perhaps a quaint
              phrase but in reality true.
              I will agree with the R2 assesment.All hi-perf stuff
              is rare enough that it justifies the resto cost.
              Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

When it's NOT a Studebaker.

Tex E. Grier

Comment

You have a point, bob40. A good example is the thread about Torrey Kirby's collection. Lots of desirable cars there If you could take a picture of that lot today and go back 30 years and show him, I bet there's no way he would have figured those cars to end up like that

As I said, it's a moving target.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                  Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I'm with Matthew.

Lots of folks have a problem with government agencies telling us what we can and can't do with a car, but many have no problem doing the same thing [:0].

"Whatever you do, don't put a SBC in it. The only true Studebakers are stockers. Modify them ONLY the way I would do." etc.

Carries over to this subject. "Don't part them out unless it meets MY criteria."

There are many reasons cars are parted out. They are often worth more in parts than whole. No one would buy it whole so might as well remove some parts that are the most valuable and scrap the rest. Out of room and it has to go. Needed some parts for his own project so might as well sell some off the same car to others. etc. etc.

Fact is, every car parted out keeps another Stude (or 2 or 3 or 4) on the road. If some Studes aren't parted out, the ones that are on the road would cease to be after a while.

If someone wants to part out a '64 full package car for WHATEVER reason, I'm fine with it. If someone wants to buy Studes to save them and let them rust away in the back 40, I'm OK with that too.

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

I may have missed the point of the question; I thought Scott was asking for others' criteria, not whether anyone should offer their criteria... but I could be wrong. I agree, in the end it comes down to the individual.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Thats a great question have you ever seen what people have restored in Hemmings wow it's amamzing!
                        Jack

1955 SPEEDSTER LEMON/LIME
                        1955 SPEEDSTER RED & WHITE
                        1964 R2 GT HAWK (SID)

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

It isn't really that hard to change a frame, so I don't get why that's so important. Even a rusted frame is a lot easier to fix than a rusted body. If you really want a nice car that is over fifty years old, then you shouldn't expect to get that out of just ONE car. A frame here, a body from over there, engine from someplace, interior pieced together. If your car isn't going to be worth much when its all finished, then it's a parts car already.

Comment

quote:BobGlasscock
                            Commander Member

USA
                            1610 Posts
                            Posted - 03/31/2009 : 4:54:01 PM
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is EASY! When 'that' car has a part that MY car needs!!
                            Bob, did you forget to add... "when the owner is not looking?"

John Clary
                            Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
                            SDC member since 1975
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

hmmm, I might have forgotten that, not sure.............

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Working...
                              X