PDA

View Full Version : Expert Opinion Needed!

ncjdlj
03-31-2009, 12:17 AM
Am interested in two different Studebakers - a '63 Cruiser in LaHabra Heights, CA and a '56 President in Maple Lake, MN. Is anyone near those communities willing to take a look at them for me it would be greatly appreciated. "Champ Trucking" was extremely helpful a couple of weeks ago and helped me make a knowledgable decision not to buy. Please contact me if you can help.

Don Juday
LaGrange Park, IL
ncjdlj@aol.com
1953 Land Cruiser

bob40
03-31-2009, 05:38 AM
After this latest snow/ice squall goes through
I can look at the Maple Lake one.

4-speed wagonaire
03-31-2009, 08:27 PM
quote:Originally posted by bob40

After this latest snow/ice squall goes through
I can look at the Maple Lake one.

Going to sneek a peek during both days of summer.....

Bill, Many Fords and one great Stude!

StudeRich
03-31-2009, 10:37 PM
From what we have seen here on the forum and on ebay, you certainly could not go wrong with that beautiful Blue Mist '63 Cruiser with that amazing Broadcloth style re-upholstered Velour interior! [^] [:p]

You were on this one, about both cloth interior cars:
http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27555

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa221/studerich/My64Daytona.jpg
StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA

jimmijim8
04-01-2009, 09:17 AM
Headliner sail panels are crappy looking. Maybe a new headliner. Why is the antenna on the wrong side? Not a factory install, but a Cruiser without a factory radio option and aftermarket outside mirror. I talked with the owner and didn't have the heart to beat him down on his near 14G price. Nice guy. I told him I would call back in a couple months and if he still had it and just wanted out of it, I would reimburse him for his investment.{what he paid at the auction} He didn't tell me to kiss off. Looks like mylar added to the door panels? I had a 63 Cruiser and don't remember the door panels being like that. I could be wrong cause it has been 30 yrs ago. Nice car. Less than 10,000 miles and possibly a repaint,{my observation} a fairly clean under hood insulation pad. With less than 10G miles, how does the passenger side oil-breather cap loose it's paint and opposite side looks unscathed? Reupholstered innards, and ill fitting headliner {easily fixed} hmmh! I suspect this car may have been a restoration. Might be 109,000 miles P.S. I ain't no expert. The only reason I posted was to raise question and hopefully learn something. jimmijim

StudeRich
04-01-2009, 12:54 PM
quote:Originally posted by jimmijim8

Looks like mylar added to the door panels? I had a 63 Cruiser and don't remember the door panels being like that. I could be wrong cause it has been 30 yrs ago.

Jim, this is a CANADIAN built car! The door panels resemble (or ARE!) a '63 Lark Custom U.S. model, and are not the same as a South Bend car.

I agree, that oil cap looks like a 100,000 mile plus one. If the original was lost and replaced with that one, maybe that's the reason, but it's a stretch.

jimmijim8
04-01-2009, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the info on the door panels.

Roscomacaw
04-01-2009, 01:34 PM
OK, this begs the question - WHY the difference of door panels??? I mean.... alot of US-built Studes sported Canadian-made door panels, so I'm not gonna buy the argument that there was some sorta "local content" thing.

They're definitely styled/trimmed different than what we'd expect to see in a SB-built Cruiser. DID Canadian tastes differ THAT MUCH that they had to have distinctive door panels???

Goofy![B)]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1963 Cruiser
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President two door

StudeRich
04-01-2009, 02:07 PM
Bob; I will not argue about the door panels correctness, because I have seen few Canadian cars, mostly only the '64 Imports.
Didn't Craig (8E45) site other cars as being this way?

But, IF they ARE correct and not replaced, my thought on the Canadian "differences" like the Maple Leaves, Wheel Covers from shallow dies, Solid Color Steering Wheels, etc. etc. is their thinking was not "tastes", it was like the other U. S. cars made by a "Limited of Canada" Corporate Subsidiary: THEY JUST WANTED TO BE DIFFERENT! [:0]

Some things like; 6 Cly. engines in Daytonas, and Hawks, color deletions, additions and changes etc. maybe WERE tastes! ;)

s2d63lark
04-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Not only do those door panels resemble 63 Y-6 door panels, they ARE 63 Y-6 style door panels. My 63 (VC-2858) is a Y-6 and has those same panels. It also has a 6 cylinder air cleaner housing on it but that is what is on every CANADIAN V-8 Lark I have seen including the one being discussed. For more differences, the Canadian plant built P-6 wagonaires in 63. It was (and still is) a different market up here with slight variations in model selection and/or equipment.

Doug

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm160/lakado/006.jpg 6E40-195 http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm160/lakado/The%20Green%20Hornet/Lark.jpg 1963 Canadian Lark VY-6

Chatsworth, Ontario, Canada

GTtim
04-01-2009, 04:57 PM
In my limited experience it has seemed to me that the Canadian market often ended up with a cheaper/plainer version of what was offered in the US. I saw a '63 Hawk in original condition, shown to me by the original owner, the headliner didn't have the dots and there was, I think, a different trunk mat used.

Tim K.
'64 R2 GT Hawk

STEWDI
04-01-2009, 09:52 PM
But, oddly enuff, Canada didn't get the '64 Challenger!

Roger "153624" Hill

55 Champion
47 M-5
Izzer Buggy
Junior Wagon