No announcement yet.

back seat (New interior for Christine)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• back seat (New interior for Christine)

Without trying it for myself yet...

Does anyone know if the rear seat cushions from a '63 Daytona Hardtop will fit in a '58 Commander 4 door?

Thanks in advance.

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

I don't know how well a fit you need but I think you would be better with a 4 dr. Stude donor. 53-61. Go to a bone yard and get some seats out of a luxury mobile for cheap.
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

I have a pretty decent 56 sedan rear seat you could have for free. Do you know anybody coming up to the SB meet from down there?

Comment

Well I have a new bucket-seat interior for my Daytona that I wont get around to using for quite some time. If the rear seat cushions from that car would work in the 58, then Id put that interior in. I know the front buckets will fit without any problem. Im reluctant to buy another interior kit when I have one that isnt currently being used. Guess Ill just have to try it for myself and see. :-)

Matthew Burnette
        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Matt, the seat bottom will likely work. The seat back probably won't. The ocmpany lowerec the beltline on the Lark and dropped the tops of the seats to make the car look larger (I read this in TW a few years ago). It might fit, but I seriously doubt it.

When I got Bess a few years ago, I tried out the seats from one of my Daytonas. They were much smaller. The front bolted in, but is noticably smaller than the original seat. The rears were an inch or so narrower. I thought sure the rear would work, as they're very much the same seat. But, no, it didn't work.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

UPDATE:

The rear backrest from a '63 Lark will not work in a '58 4 door. Length wise it is perfect; but height is a different story. (Lark seat is too short).

I got seat covers from JDP a few years back for my Daytona. The backrest cover for the Lark fits the '58's backrest perfectly, but it won't stretch enough to cover the bottom cushion. So, I used the '63 Lark bottom cushion. It with the '58 backrest works Okay.

So in the rear, I'll have the stock '58 backrest, and a '63 Daytona bottom cushion. In the front, there'll be GT Hawk bucket seats and console. I'll post pics in a few days when I have the covers on and everything dyed the right color. (Red with white inserts is being recolored to beige/tan with white inserts.)

Matthew Burnette
            Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Bucket seats and a console in a '58 4 door sedan? Red and white 2-tone in a copper colored sedan? Am I reading you correctly?

Dare to be different INDEED!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Allan Songer

Bucket seats and a console in a '58 4 door sedan? Red and white 2-tone in a copper colored sedan? Am I reading you correctly?

Dare to be different INDEED!

Close...

Yes, bucket seats and console.

The covers I have are red with white inserts. As soon as I have all the covers installed, I'll be dying over the red with beige, and leaving the white inserts. I may be half color blind, but I'm not bad enough to think that red/white will look good in a copper/beige car. [xx(] Beige and white in a copper/beige car will look alright though.

I'll post pictures in a few days when I have it all done. It'll be easier to explain that way.

Matthew Burnette
                Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

The buckets in that car sounds neat to me, the colors even better!

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
                  Dylan Wills
                  Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                  1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
                  1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
                  1914 Ford Model T

Comment

The back seat is done. Still working on the front buckets.

Matthew Burnette
                    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Looks good! I've been dying (actually spray painting is a better term) vinyl and leather for years and years here in the movie prop business. It's so easy and the results are uniformly excellent if you take the time to prep the material first.

For the past few years I've used these guys with really excellent results:

Leather World Technology A Leader in providing you with quality leather repair, vinyl repair and color restoration products for leather furniture, upholstery, & vinyl goods.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Allan Songer

Looks good! I've been dying (actually spray painting is a better term) vinyl and leather for years and years here in the movie prop business. It's so easy and the results are uniformly excellent if you take the time to prep the material first.

For the past few years I've used these guys with really excellent results:

Leather World Technology A Leader in providing you with quality leather repair, vinyl repair and color restoration products for leather furniture, upholstery, & vinyl goods.

Thanks Allan.

Now that I'm redoing the seats, I'll spray the door panels as well, to make them look a little better. I have all new door rubber on the way, and I've found a set of NOS floor mats as well. Soon enough it'll be a $1500 car. [)]

Matthew Burnette
                        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude

I'll bet that orange truck is getting reeeeeal lonely right about now.

[img=left]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/158/360197307_8639ee4a46_m.jpg[/img=left]
                          ~Nitram~
                          57 Transtar

Comment

The truck isn't too lonely. It's hanging out with a few other derelict Studes. [)]

Matthew Burnette
                            Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

Matthew Burnette
                              Hazlehurst, GA
                              OK, I guess I'm just old, because I remember when MOST cars had bench front seats. But when I was Matthew's age, there were definite advantages to a bench front seat.

(Hint for you young whippersnappers: a lot more difficult for female types to snuggle up to you when you have bucket seats<G&gt

Paul
                              Winston-Salem, NC
                              Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                              Paul
                              Winston-Salem, NC
                              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                              Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Working...
                              X