Studebaker Pocket Watches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Pocket Watches

We are interested in learning more about South Bend/Studebaker pocket watches. Can anyone recommend some good reference books/materials that would help us out? Thanks in advance!

John and Tracy Smith
    Queen Creek Arizona

[IMG]

quote:Originally posted by John and Tracy Smith

We are interested in learning more about South Bend/Studebaker pocket watches. Can anyone recommend some good reference books/materials that would help us out? Thanks in advance!
    Google is your friend- http://www.pocketwatchrepair.com/his...southbend.html

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

George Reitenour. Monterey, Tennessee
      931-839-2884 I hope this right number it's the last one I have. He always has a bunch of Studebaker watches and a good repair man for watches.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
      Middle Tennessee 37th Annual Car Show April 4 2009

Comment

George has hundreds of South Bend watches and does repair work on them.
        He is the man to contact for every thing South Bend watches.

Gary Sanders
        Nixa, MO
        President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
        Gary Sanders
        Nixa, MO

Comment

Thanks for the leads! We will give George a call on Monday. Until then, does anyone know of anything in print that would be a good reference, as well?

John and Tracy Smith
          Queen Creek Arizona

[IMG]

Comment

quote:Originally posted by John and Tracy Smith

Thanks for the leads! We will give George a call on Monday. Until then, does anyone know of anything in print that would be a good reference, as well?
            If you didn't like my previous post listing a url that has a lot of Studebaker and South Bend watch information, at least look at this one- http://bestantiquepocketwatches.com/. It addresses the difference between Studebaker watches and The Studebakers watches.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

As a lot of my posts seem to start with "many years ago", this one is no different. Back in the mid 1970's when I was one of the young ones at the Studebaker meets, I would often see a couple of older members, often clad in coveralls, greet one another by asking for the time. They would almost simultaneously produce a couple of pocket watches and a protracted conversation would follow. It was some time and several meets later when I discovered that there was such a thing as Studebaker Watches and the "Old-timers" were merely creating an opportunity to show off their watches. At my last major Studebaker meet, I compared watches with a fellow member. As I walked away, it dawned on me that now I am one of the "Old-timers!"

John Clary
              Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
              SDC member since 1975
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

[/quote]
                If you didn't like my previous post listing a url that has a lot of Studebaker and South Bend watch information, at least look at this one- http://bestantiquepocketwatches.com/. It addresses the difference between Studebaker watches and The Studebakers watches.

But George is a member of SDC. And has been for a long time.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
                Middle Tennessee 37th Annual Car Show April 4 2009

Comment

Both sites are great and we are enjoying reading through them (we were surprised, for example, to find out that there is a difference in worth between watches stamped "The Studebaker" versus simply "Studebaker"). We're also looking forward to speaking with George about some specific questions we have. Additionally, though, we are looking to find a guide of sorts that we can bring along with us when we are out and about, hunting for Studebaker treasures. Sometimes we stop in little antique stores in our travels and it would be nice to have a "cheat sheet" of sorts to refer to in those situations.

John and Tracy Smith
                  Queen Creek Arizona

[IMG]

Comment

The watch traders guide available at better bookstores is a must have to fool with watches of any sort.There is also a pocket guide but make sure the studebakers are in it before you buy it.Steve
                    sigpic

Comment

There was a specific Turning Wheels article on pocket watches years back. Some one more savvy than I will have to provide the specific issue date.

KURTRUK
                      (read it backwards)

KURTRUK
                      (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

It may not be safe to assume that you know that Studebaker watches were NOT manufactured by the Studebaker Corporation that made vehicles.
                        I will vouch for George R. as being honest as well as knowledgable on Studebaker/South Bend watches.

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Turning Wheels Feb. 1974 has the South Bend Watch article.

Gary Sanders
                          Nixa, MO
                          President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                          Gary Sanders
                          Nixa, MO

Comment

I'm sure there was something more recent, since I have only been a member for a couple of decades and I remember reading it in one of the TW issues I received.

KURTRUK
                            (read it backwards)

KURTRUK
                            (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

John & Tracy- I have information on the South Bend/Studebaker watches. I will look for it in my literature. I have several of them in my collection. One of these days come up to our end of town and I will show them to you.
                              Denny L

Comment

Working...
                              X