Possible engine swap questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible engine swap questions.

Several days ago I posted looking for a replacement 59/60 champ 6 motor, so far no luck. However, I have been talking with Dave G. about replacing the flathead 6 with a later OHV 6. The question is what kinds of challeges will I run into and what "extra" parts will I have to locate to make it work? I have a 3 speed trans and the car is a 1960 lark 6 two door sedan. Also is there any +/- to making this swap vs. continuing my search for a 59/60 flathead 6?

Thanks again!!!

Sedans Rule!!!

Chris Coop
    Vancouver, WA.
    Sedans Rule!!!

Chris Coop
    Vancouver, WA.

My first car was a 60 Lark 2 door sedan with the OHV 6. It took me two years to finally figure out it wasn't original. I don't think it's too big a deal.

Comment

Chris, is that the little red one? or what ever color you want to call it. what did you find wrong with the engine, if you want the 6 just fix that one...Bob Peterson
      Candbstudebakers
      Castro Valley,
      California

Comment

Yes Bob it is the 60 I got from you... it idles great and revs fine.... but when you rev it up and let it come back down there is a nice "kock, knock, knock" until it idles again. Also it won't really move under it's own power... you can put it in gear and it will sit, it will move a little in reverse and the shifter will barely move in and out and around the gears.... however most of the elcetrical items work, so that is cool.

I am just trying to come up with an alternative to rebuilding this engine.... as I am better at replacing than repairing.

Thanks,

Sedans Rule!!!

Chris Coop
        Vancouver, WA.
        Sedans Rule!!!

Chris Coop
        Vancouver, WA.

Comment

Chris, should be a straight over swap. As I understand it, there isn't that much difference between the two. However, the changeover to the over head valves came with some problems. The engines are prone to blowing head gaskets. Ask Kent want it's like trying to drive one of them cross country. If you must swap, it seems to me it's best to stay with another flathead.

this interests me:
          quote:you can put it in gear and it will sit, it will move a little in reverse and the shifter will barely move in and out and around the gears....
          That sounds like a transmission problem, not an engine problem. Check where the shifter bars connect to the eyes on the base of the steering column. Are the grommets worn out? this would provide sufficient slop to produce the symptoms you describe. Rather than change out the motor, try to determine that is what indeed is the problem. If you already have done so, forgive me, just trying to help. I've jumped the gun several times and it's cost enough to buy a car or two.[:I]

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Chris, please get somebody else to troubleshoot that car before settling on replacing the engine. Get a gauge, and check the oil pressure.

If it's a straight 3-speed manual, and it "barely moves" in reverse, that sounds more like a clutch problem than a transmission problem. If reverse gear were so bad that the car would scarcely move, you'd HEAR it, trust me.

Clutch problem and knock might be explained by loose flywheel bolts; not real likely, but just might be.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Just a idea, but haven't those 6's made those sounds when the fiber timing gear is starting to go bad? I thought I heard something about that happening, sorry if I am wrong or you already checked.

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
              Dylan Wills
              Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
              1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
              1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
              1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Working...
              X