Lavender/black springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lavender/black springs

On page 66 of the shop manual for the 1950 Champion it states that a different clutch plate should be used for an overdrive transmission than that for a regular transmission. Those for the overdrive should have 4 lavender springs and those for the regular transmission should have 2 lavender springs and 2 black springs. Can someone tell me what this ia all about?

Jimmie
    Orleans, Indiana

1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA
    sigpicJimmie
    Orange County, Indiana

I think it's because since the overdrive cars came with a lower rearend ratio, they could take off harder, so they needed weaker springs to take some of the harshness out of the engagement.

Comment

Is it the pressure plate or the lined disc, they both have springs, but there is a big difference. The ones on the Disc. do not do a whole lot, the others DO!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Let me add to this.
        Springs in the driven plate (loose lined disk in the clutch) were painted
        different colors to denote their strength.
        After 60 years their color is often missing.
        Studebaker tried to fine tune the driven disk to their transmissions
        but rebuilder have the same number for all.
        All these springs did was absorb some of the shock of releasing the clutch and certain combinations
        of springs worked better than others but it is not critical.
        The springs in the pressure plates however were also color coded and
        would vary the amount of pressure needed on the clutch pedal
        and the pressure on the driven disk to prevent slipping the clutch. Various combinations of springs were available.

Comment

Richard-

It refers to the driven plate so I think it is referring to the clutch plate itself.

Jimmie
          Orleans, Indiana

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Is it the pressure plate or the lined disc, they both have springs, but there is a big difference. The ones on the Disc. do not do a whole lot, the others DO!

sigpicJimmie
          Orange County, Indiana

Comment

OK, so they are just the lined disc. springs, and as Bob said they just absorb shock, they don't drive the car like pressure plate springs do, do no big deal, you will not find one in 2009, that matches the original.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
            X