X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1961 champ 1/2 ton 6e7

has anyone put an aerostar or mustang 2 ifs under a champ? thanks bob

bob loshbough

I have had a Studebaker with a Mustang II under the front, but I don't think that it would be enough for a truck. I have owned two Studebaker pickups with GM (Camaro and Trans Am) front clips under the front. That worked out well.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

We ought to have a few replies on that one because I sold quite a few adapter kits to install the aerostar. The negative on the aerostar is that you have to cut into the left engine frame member for the steering shaft to clear and construct a new mount on that side. The plus is the width is only one inch wider than the camaro, and the adapters are a bolt in using original stude factory frame holes. The camaro sub frames have skyrocketed around here, but you can buy a running aerostar for $200.

Comment

Where are you Bob? I have an aerostar here in Greenville,SC with a rebuilt front steering and suspension (within last 300 miles)that gave up the engine recently.It is my girlfriends moms and she has replaced it this time instead of throwing more money at it but there are so many new parts I wont even try to name them.Its worth putting an engine in but I wont (family ya know) so it will sell cheap.Its a shame,she started with a junk van,put WAY too much money in it to keep it going and now that its worth fixing shes abandoned it.Steve
        sigpic

Comment

February 2009 issue of Turning Wheels page 26 & 27 has an article on a Stude truck with a 85 Mercedes power steering setup in it. There is a picture of the engine with the Mercedes pump visible. I have the parts to do this swap, just cant do without my truck right now, but it looks to be a pretty straighforward install. The gearbox itself is roughly the same dimentions as the original box & there are only 2 hoses. Using the Mercedes pump, everything should be off the shelf items except the belt & possibly having to ream the pitman arm to the same angle as the Stude tie rod & making a bracket for the pump. Later Champs that had the pitman arm going forward, parallel with the frame could use a modified Hawk setup being sold by Dave T-bow I think.

60 Lark convertible
          61 Champ
          62 Daytona convertible
          63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2)
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan
          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
          X