Never heard this one before!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never heard this one before!

Took my '64 to the BP station to fill 'er up, and an old timer came over and said, "They drove a bullet-nose Studie cross-country on three wheels to show how stable they were. Remember seeing it on display for a day or so at the dealer in Medina".

Never heard that one before!

The '64's front brakes are grabbing something awful and veering to the right; that is definitely job one! Previous seller said he just rebuilt all four wheel cylinders for me.

Buy boy, that Strato Blue on a '64 is pretty! My wife comes home from FL with the digital camera today, so hopefully will be able to take and post a few pictures fairly soon.

Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
    '64 Daytona Hardtop
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

quote:Originally posted by Bill Pressler

Took my '64 to the BP station to fill 'er up, and an old timer came over and said, "They drove a bullet-nose Studie cross-country on three wheels to show how stable they were. Remember seeing it on display for a day or so at the dealer in Medina".
    Never heard that one before! ...
    He may have been right. That story seems vaguely familiar. That was the first year of the fully independent front suspension- could be Studebaker wanted to demonstrate it's "improved stability".

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I knew they drove a citroen that way as a demo and may have heard they also did a tucker but never heard of a stude doing it.Steve
      sigpic

Comment

I remember a story from the 30s about a new Studebaker being ballasted on one rear corner and being driven with the the opposite front wheel removed to demonstrate its strength. I don't remember anything about it being driven cross country or anything.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
        "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

In 1957, first year of the torsion bar front suspension, many Chrysler products were setting outside dealers with the front wheel off to demonstrate--who knows? Never seen one driven that way, tho. Might be kinda interesting.

John

Comment

Transcript:The Year is 1960.Automotive manufacturing takes a turn for the better with the invention of the single-framed, unibody car chassis. And to demonst...

60s Chrysler, not smart enough to imbed, sorry!

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
            http://datinmanspeaks.blogspot.com/

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Da Tinman

Transcript:The Year is 1960.Automotive manufacturing takes a turn for the better with the invention of the single-framed, unibody car chassis. And to demonst...

Odd that he takes the driver's side tire off the car, starts the trip that way, but soon it's the PASSENGER side that is missing [:0] [?]

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Reminds me of a scene in "Stroker Ace" with Burt providing the counter-weight as Jim Nabors steers toward their destination.

Chris Pile
                Midway Chapter SDC
                The Studebaker Special
                The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Odd that he takes the driver's side tire off the car, starts the trip that way, but soon it's the PASSENGER side that is missing [:0] [?]
                  That's because it's two different cars- first (driver's wheel off) is a 58 Plymouth, and the second (pass. wheel off) is a 60 Chrysler. I'd love one of each[:X]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                  Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Working...
                  X