Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

us rust-belt guys might not be so unfortunate....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• us rust-belt guys might not be so unfortunate....

I live and grew up in the rusty midwest. Patching floors is like second nature to me, I'm used to the lower foot of a car being rusted out toast. I always thought us midwest guys were at a disadvantage in the old car hobby. Well, being burned by a recent experience just reminded me maybe us rust belt guys don't have it so bad....

Midwest lore has it that California cars are the ticket for a rust-free solid car. These following pictures will make us rust belt floor patching guys not feel so bad about living in the midwest. I did win a $20 bet from a buddy who could not believe a california car could ever be so rusty.

Disclamer: I realize that this particular 'black plated' lark wagon is not indicative of all California cars, but roof jungle rot is sure a concern if I ever buy another car from out west. When was the last time one saw a rotted roof and upper structure rotted on an Indiana car. Sure is easier to patch floors then roof drip edge and roof structure.

WOW!

Comment

Looks like my 75 Dodge van roofline, salt air works its magic from the top down.

Comment

People need to look at a map and understand how big and diverse Cali is. A car being from CA dosen't guarantee anything. The only places that are relatively sure bets are the Central Valley, the High Desert and any of the Low Desert areas (Palm Desert, Imperial Valley etc.) Even within my county (San Diego)you can find a tremendous variation in how cars hold up. You can forget anything from the coast for the most part.
        1960 Lark 2 door sedan \"Ethel\"

Comment

My guess is it sat under a tree with leaves on it for 30 plus years, it would not make much difference WHERE the car was stored, the gutter rot would be the same!

It looks like it WAS a '60 4 Dr. Lark Wagon.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

My guess is it sat under a tree with leaves on it for 30 plus years, it would not make much difference WHERE the car was stored, the gutter rot would be the same!
            I don't think so. I've never seen that in the Northeast- except in cars imported from CA[xx(] Funny, those who crow about how we're nuts to fix rust-belt cars and how it's worth spending a grand to have a CA shipped to us never seem to bring up the roof rust... or the rust in other much harder to repair areas... nor do they mention how completely fried their interiors get, as compared to ours that don't get that[B)]

As mentioned, inland cars have less upper rust than coastal cars; but I have yet to see a CA car advertised that specifies which it is... and they all seem to have the crispy interiors It's MUCH cheaper and easier to fix a rusted floor or lower body than a roof, or upper door, or upper pillar. And as a bonus, CA cars frequently have floor rust anyway, due to the weatherstrip getting cooked and allowing water to leak in.

Certainly CA cars can be better off, and worth shipping; but as Kent demonstrates, that is NOT always automatically the case! Thanks for sharing that lesson, Kent!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
            Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Did you keep the roof sheet metal cut out???? If so find a hot rod place that needs to fill a 34 ford coupe, or 5 window, and SELL it to them, the contour fits perfectly

Not to scare anyone, but the old roof skin of my 61, now resides on this Champaign colored car in the link. Sorry no tiny url.

So roof rot car or not, its still a value to a metal worker or the car hobby.

ChopStu
              61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mahseer

The only places that are relatively sure bets are the Central Valley, the High Desert and any of the Low Desert
                Lore had it that this wagon spent its life since new in the central valley, but who knows. However,I know for certain that it spent the last 20 years in the valley.

Comment

Florida cars get a version of roof rot as well. As mentioned, coastal cars get it worse.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                  1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Mice can do this too. I had holes above the windshield on my '53 from mice living inside the roof rail channel there. Rot from the inside out. Very difficult repair.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Kent,

Is this what you drove to California for?

You like me have all the luck,...bad luck. It sure looks like you've got the repair under control. Good luck with it.

See you in a few weeks.

Allen

1964 R2 GT Hawk

1963 Daytona Convertible
                      Oakville, Ontario.
                      Hamilton Chapter
                      See you in Cedar Rapids Summer 2009
                      1964 GT Hawk
                      PSMCDR 2014
                      Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                      PSMCDR 2013
                      Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

I have always stated we get rust in California in the floors if they sit out with carpet left in and get wet, true any car that lives close to the coast has problems but close is almost with in sight of the ocean, some of the worst cars I have parted out came from area with in sight of the pacific, 46 double dater so bad you would cut your hands trying to open the trunk, a 61 hawk from San Francisco with in sight of the pacific it looked like the worst car I had ever seen in Minnesota, just last month I looked at a 64 cruiser 2 blocks from the ocean for a person in Delaware, this car was there from the start but always keep in side and was perfect, so one never knows, there a few forum members out here that will take time to check out cars for anyone that would like just ask....Bob Peterson
                        Candbstudebakers
                        Castro Valley,
                        California

Comment

My 60 Lark HT had perfect floors when I bought it in the 90's. Imagine my surprise when my screwdriver went through the sheet metal above the trim on the top of the doors. The roof has lots of hidden rust problems, just like in the pictures above. It's going to be a bear to fix. But everything else was rust free (and the frame still had its chalk marks) - weird.

Scott Rodgers
                          Los Angeles
                          SDC Member since 1989
                          '60 Lark HT
                          '63 Wagonaire
                          Scott Rodgers
                          Los Angeles
                          SDC Member since 1989
                          \'60 Lark HT
                          \'63 Wagonaire
                          \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

quote:[i]....a 61 hawk from San Francisco with in sight of the pacific it looked like the worst car I had ever seen in Minnesota
                            Bob I hope that isn't true. About the only original sheet metal on my 61 wagon is the roof. This is a car that spent most of its time around the Mississippi River here in Minnesota, but I wonder if it didn't spend some of that time in it.

Nick

Comment

When I bought the Daytona from the Lake Tahoe area, I had asked for pictures of the floors and rocker panels. I'm glad when I drove out there that the roof wasn't rusty. At the time I never thought to ask.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Working...
                              X